The Peppermill is the Biggest Casino in Reno
By Steve Beauregard
It may not get as much as attention as Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe, but Reno, Nevada is home to a thriving casino market.
The area of nearly a half a million people in far western Nevada, near the California state line is home to twenty casinos. (This doesn’t include the small video poker bars or gas stations with slot machines).
Many of these casino are congregated in Reno’s famed downtown area on N. Virginia Street, (where you’ll find the famous arch boasting “the Biggest Little City in the World”), while a few others are situated by themselves a few miles away from the city’s center.
In either case, in 2015, these twenty casinos in Reno brought in over a half a billion dollars in gaming revenue.
Below is a list of the ten biggest casinos in the Reno area, as determined by gaming floor size.
These figures come from the Nevada Gaming Control Board, which requires each gaming license location to disclose the square footage of floor space devoted to gambling (slots, table games, race/sports books, etc.). The figures here only include gaming space, and not convention rooms, restaurant square footage, etc.
The Silver Legacy is the 2nd Largest Casino in Reno, NV.
One other note, we’re including nearby Sparks, Nevada, casinos here too, since Sparks is just located to the east of Reno proper.
Largest casino in Reno
The biggest casino in Reno is the Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, located 2 ½ miles south of downtown Reno.
The Peppermill is the only Reno casino to have over 100,000 square feet of gaming space, and one of 22 casinos in the state of Nevada to cross the 100K mark.
In fact, the Peppermill has a bigger casino than many of the famed resorts on the Las Vegas Strip. It may surprise you to learn the Peppermill’s casino is bigger than the Luxor, Excalibur and Mirage in Las Vegas. To be fair, a large chunk of Peppermill’s gaming floor square footage includes space only for bingo.
Built in 1971 and expanded numerous times since, the Peppermill has over 2 million square feet, when factoring in the 1,623 room hotel, 33,000 square foot spa, along with the resort’s fifteen bars and ten restaurants.
The casino itself boasts 1,500 slot machines, 48 table games, a 7,200 square foot sports book, and the largest poker room in Reno, with 19 tables.
Here’s the full list of the top ten biggest casinos in Reno, NV, as measured by gaming floor square footage:
1) Peppermill Resort Spa Casino – 107,272 square feet.
2) Silver Legacy Resort Casino – 89,200 square feet.
3) Eldorado Hotel & Casino – 78,987 square feet.
4) Circus Circus Reno – 66,515 square feet.
5) Atlantis Casino Resort – 64,814 square feet.
6) Grand Sierra Resort and Casino –63,584 square feet.
7) Nugget Casino Resort (Sparks, NV) – 50,200 square feet.
8) Baldini’s Sports Casino (Sparks, NV) – 41,750 square feet.
9) Harrah’s Reno Hotel and Casino – 40,200 square feet.
10) Boomtown Casino – 38,550 square feet.
Runner up: Club Cal Neva – 36,454 square feet.
Biggest Sportsbook in Reno
The biggest sportsbook in Reno is found at the Grand Sierra Casino, and it’s not even close.
The Grand Sierra’s sport’s book is 14,174 square feet in size, almost double that of the city’s next largest sportsbook.
Run by William Hill gaming, the Grand Sierra’s race and sports books has 130 TV screens, VIP boxes, and capacity of 700 people.
Here’s a list of the six biggest sportsbooks in Reno:
The Grand Sierra Has Reno’s Biggest Sportsbook
1) Grand Sierra Resort & Casino: 14,174 square feet.
2) Peppermill Resort Spa Casino: 7,200 square feet. The resort’s spacious race and sports book features not one, but two ten foot wide TV screens (and you thought your 55 inch TV was big), along with 61 other big screen televisions.
3) Club Cal Neva: 3,743 square feet.
4) Atlantis Hotel and Casino: 3,000 square feet.
5) Eldorado Hotel and Casino: 2,487 square feet.
6) Harrah’s Reno Hotel & Casino: 2,000 square feet.
(Peppermill photos courtesy of the Peppermill Resort & Spa. Other photos courtesy of Andrew, and Prayitno via Flickr.)