The MGM Springfield is a big, beautiful hotel/casino set upon a sprawling complex that occupies 14 ½ acres of land in city’s south end.
One of just three casinos in Massachusetts,, the MGM Springfield is located in the heart of a busy downtown. It’s also relatively busy, with over $20 million gambled there each month.
As with most downtowns, parking is at a premium. Combine that with a 251 room hotel, 125,000 square foot casino, and busy entertainment district full of bars, restaurants, a multi-plex and bowling alley, and you can certainly see the demand for parking here.
That’s not even including people working downtown, going to the courthouse, or attending concerts, meetings or sports at the nearby Symphony Hall or MassMutual Center.
Given all this demand, (and considering the casino’s sister properties in Las Vegas were the first to implement paid parking in Sin City), you may be surprised to learn that self-parking at the MGM Springfield is free.
MGM Springfield Parking Map
(The black “P” shows you the entrance into the self-parking garage, while the green star represents the valet parking area.)
MGM Parking Garage Springfield, MA Fee
There is no fee to park at the casino’s spacious multi-level parking garage. It’s free to both registered hotel guests, and visitors alike.
The way the casino/hotel is set-up, the hotel registration desk is pretty far away from the garage, on the opposite end of the resort, (on the Main Street side). Those of you carrying bags may find it to be a long walk.
Please also note: on busy weekend nights, you may have a wait leaving the parking garage. This is particularly true if you had to park on one of the upper levels.
There are only single lanes going in and out of the parking garage.
MGM Springfield Valet Parking Fee
Although the self-parking is free, the resort does charge for valet parking for everyone, (including hotel guests).
As of this early 2022 update, valet parking is not available, however in the past, the valet fee has been $28 per day.
This does not include a tip for the valet driver.
MGM Springfield Parking Garage
All self-parking at the MGM Springfield is at their massive, multi-story parking garage on the southeast portion of the casino’s 3 block footprint. There are six elevators to provide access to the casino’s main floor.
The level you parked at is easy to remember, as levels are named after MGM Resorts properties in Las Vegas, (i.e. Level 2 is “The Mirage,” Level 4 is “Luxor,” etc.).
All total, there are 3,375 parking spaces in this garage, and each level has digital counters, showing you the number of available spaces on other levels.
There are eight levels in this parking garage. However unlike with most casinos, the top floor here at the MGM Springfield has covered parking – thanks to a massive solar panel canopy installed in December of 2019 that the resort uses to offset its carbon footprint.
Most of the top floor parking spaces are covered by this solar panel canopy.
According to an article in the Springfield Republican, the 3,456 solar panels can generate 1,600 mega-watts of electricity, or up to 10% of the total electricity needed by the resort.
In another nod to the environment, the garage has fifty electric vehicle charging stations.
When coming from Interstate 91, you’ll want to get off at Exit 6. From there you’ll want to stay on E. Columbus (or turn left onto E. Columbus if you were southbound on I-91).
Follow the signs pointing you to MGM Way, where you’ll take a right. From there it will be easy to see the self-parking garage entrance on the right.
The valet parking area will be just a little further ahead past the self-parking entrance.
- The Maximum height for the valet parking garage is 8 foot 2 inches. I assume this is the same for the self-parking
- MGM Springfield has roughly 2,000 workers – down from the 3,000 originally promised to the city prior to opening.
- Opened on August 24, 2018, the resort cost $980 million dollars to build (including the parking garage).
- Wanting to visit the basketball hall of fame? The MGM Springfield parking garage is just 1/3rd of a mile away from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame – or roughly a 6 to ten minute walk.
- WWLP 22 News out of Springfield reported in February 2020 that the casino was blocking off the 3rd and 4th levels of the parking garage to reserve for hotel and casino guests arriving later in the day. Apparently, many downtown office workers take advantage of the resort’s free parking spaces early in the morning.
- During one particularly busy weekend that included the basketball hall of fame induction ceremony, news outlets reported people having to wait an hour to get out of the resort’s parking garage.
- Although traffic has slowed since then, MGM Springfield reports that it welcomed six million visitors during its first full year of operations.
(By Steve Beauregard. Photos courtesy of the Greater Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau).