Updated January 6th, 2021
Editor’s note: Once plans for the 2022 New Year’s Eve festivities are announced, we’ll update this article. Below is the article from last year’s show.
It may be full of non-stop action, but the casinos and visitors to Atlantic City do usually take a quick pause at midnight to welcome in the New Year with a dazzling fireworks display over the famed boardwalk.
This is in addition to the numerous casino parties, and dinners held up and down the boardwalk, (as well in the Marina District).
Between luxurious special gourmet dinners, to pool parties, concerts and celebrity DJ’s, there’s no shortage of entertainment options for the throngs of visitors who flock to AC each NYE to ring in the New Year. Most of them at a big cost.
The fireworks, however are free.
Each year, the fireworks specialist company Grucci lights up the sky over the Atlantic, with a display visible for all the neck-cranking visitors on the boardwalk below.
They are shot off from the beach in front of the Tropicana Atlantic City Hotel & Casino.
The Trop graciously puts on the NYE fireworks show, just as they do with a fireworks show on every Saturday night during the summer. The Tropicana is also one of the main sponsors of the July 4th Atlantic City Fireworks display.
Unlike on July 4th, there aren’t fireworks shot off from the Marina District on New Year’s Eve.
As for New Years, this year, December 31st falls on a Tuesday.
Atlantic City New Year’s Eve 2020/2021 Fireworks Time
In year’s past, there have been fireworks right at midnight, however according to the Trop’s website and Grucci, (the fireworks company in charge of the production), the fireworks show to welcome in 2020 begins at 9 PM on the 31st.
Based on last year’s show, the Tropicana fireworks shows will include, “intricately designed scenes and vivid effects including Grucci high aerials and grand illuminations.”
Atlantic City New Year’s Eve Parties
Here are some casinos that have announced special NYE parties.
Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City
The indoor Pool After Dark at Harrah’s has a NYE party costing you $86.03 per person (after taxes and fees). The cost includes admission (beginning at 8 PM), a two-hour open bar from 9 PM to 11 PM, party favors and champagne toast at midnight.
Tropicana Atlantic City
* At the Tropicana’s Palm Walk area inside the resort, there will be a balloon drop right at midnight.
* In addition to this, and hosting the fireworks right outside on the beach, the Trop’s Boogie Nights dance club has a NYE party costing you $75 per person. This $75 charge includes taxes and fees.
Included are hors d’oeuvres, a two-hour open bar (from 9 to 11 PM), and midnight balloon drop.
* Lastly, at the Tropicana Showroom, there will be a “Best of Philly Sound” concert on New Year’s Eve, featuring The Trammps, The Delfonics, and Blue Magic. Tickets start at $50 before fees.
* As has been the case in years’ past, the LandShark Bar & Grill has no cover and a DJ performing starting at 8 PM. There will be a margarita toast at midnight.
* Margaritaville has live music starting at 8:30 PM. There’s no cover charge, but there are drink specials and also a margarita toast at midnight.
* In the Superstar Theater, Taylor Dayne will be performing on the 31st at 10:30 PM. Tickets start at $55 each, which comes out to $137.05 for two people combined after all taxes and fees.
Ocean Casino Resort
Ocean’s “Countdown to 2020” party starts at 6 PM and includes different venues, including:
* HQ2 Nightclub – Dutch DJ duo Sunnery James and Ryan Marciano perform at 10 PM on NYE. Tickets start at $50.
* 1927 Lounge and Speakeasy – A DJ plays starting at 9 PM, and the NYC ball drop will be on TV. There’s free champagne toast and confetti blast at midnight.
* William Hill Sportbook – Live music from 8 PM to 1 AM with a confetti canon at midnight.
There will also be live music at the Villain & Saint bar and restaurant.
The resort’s Premier Nightclub is hosting DJ Brooke Evers at 10 PM on December 31st. Tickets start at $30 for general admission standing areas.
Showboat Atlantic City
The folks who used to host the party on the Pier have moved their party to five different venues at the Showboat. The party includes a 5 hour open bar, entertainment, live ball drop viewing, champagne toast at midnight and more. Tickets start at $60.
Bally’s Atlantic City
The massive Wild Wild West at Bally’s has a NYE party, complete with an open bar from 9 PM to 11 PM. There will be live music, and appetizers. Tickets start at $49 (before fees).
Hard Rock Atlantic City
*** Hard Rock Live – In the resort’s Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena, Kool and the Gang, along with KC and the Sunshine Band will be performing on the 31st at 9:30 PM. Tickets for 2 people cost a total of $160.85 combined after all taxes and fees.
*** Scores – The Black Box Lounge next to Scores has NYE party with some of the top DJ’s in the area. Tickets start at $44.06 (after taxes and fees), up to $2,000 VIP tables.
*** Daer Nightclub – The DJ duo “Two Friends” will be performing on the 31st at 10 PM. Tickets (which include an open bar), start at $97.85 after taxes and fees.
*** Other Hard Rock bars – In addition, there will be live music throughout the resort, including at the Lobby Bar, Council Oak Lounge, and at the Hard Rock Cafe.
*** Main Atrium – As they typically do, the Golden Nugget will have a free party in the main atrium. There will be live bands performing, starting at 5:30 PM, and a DJ starting at 10 PM. There’s also a confetti drop at midnight.
*** Golden Nugget’s NYE party at the “Wave” nightclub, costs $75, and includes a 4 hour open bar, live entertainment, and party favors.
Weather in AC on New Year’s Eve
According to USclimatedata.com, the average high temperature on December 31st in Atlantic City is 42.6 degrees, while the average low for the day is 25.2 degrees.
As of this update on 12/31, Weather.com’s forecast for today calls for a high of 48 degrees, with a 5% chance of moisture. At 9 PM, (when the fireworks are shot off), the temperature is expected to be 43 degrees, however it will feel like 37 degrees with humidity and the wind factored in.
(By Steve Beauregard. Photo courtesy of Marco Verch via Flickr. Also, one of the links above is an affiliate link and I may receive a commission from them).