Updated January 10, 2022
(Editor’s note: once plans for the NYE 2023 fireworks show are announced, we’ll update this article. Below is the article from last New Year’s Eve).
It may be full of non-stop action, but the casinos and visitors to Atlantic City do usually take a quick pause on December 31st to welcome in the New Year with a dazzling fireworks display over the famed boardwalk.
This is in addition to the numerous casino parties, and dinners held up and down the boardwalk, (as well in the Marina District).
Between luxurious special gourmet dinners, to pool parties, concerts and celebrity DJ’s, there’s no shortage of entertainment options for the throngs of visitors who flock to AC each NYE to ring in the New Year. Most of them at a big cost.
The fireworks, however are free.
Each year, the fireworks specialist company Grucci lights up the sky over the Atlantic, with a display visible for all the neck-cranking visitors on the boardwalk below.
They are shot off from the beach in front of the Tropicana Atlantic City Hotel & Casino.
The Trop graciously puts on the NYE fireworks show, just as they do with a fireworks show on every Saturday night during the summer. The Tropicana is also one of the main sponsors of the July 4th Atlantic City Fireworks display.
Unlike on July 4th, there aren’t fireworks shot off from the Marina District on New Year’s Eve.
As for New Years, this year, December 31st falls on a Friday.
Atlantic City New Year’s Eve 2021/2022 Fireworks Time
Friday, December 31st. Starting at 9 PM.
Per the Tropicana’s website: “Start the night off with a bang! At 9 PM on the Boardwalk, Tropicana will dazzle the sky with a vibrant firework performance.” Fireworks by Grucci, the company putting on the show, says the fireworks will go off at midnight however.
Based on last year’s show, the Tropicana fireworks shows will include, “intricately designed scenes and vivid effects including Grucci high aerials and grand illuminations.”
Atlantic City 2021/2022 New Year’s Eve Parties, Concerts & Shows
Here are some casinos that have announced special NYE parties to welcome in 2022. (We may receive a commission should you purchase tickets from links below).
Bally’s AC Hotel & Casino
- Starting at 9 PM, DJ Jerry Blavat and R&B icons, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes perform at a dinner show in Bally’s Grand Ballroom. Tickets are $150 each, and include a prime rib dinner, open bar, dancing, and a champagne toast at midnight.
Borgata Hotel & Casino
- At the resort’s Premier Nightclub, DJ Press Play will be performing at 9 PM. The cost is around $88 after all taxes and fees, and apparently gets you an open bar from 9 PM to 11 PM.
- Comedian Deon Cole will perform at the Borgata’s Music Box Theater on Saturday, New Year’s Day, at 10 PM.
Caesars Atlantic City
- Caesars AC’s Boardwalk Saloon at the Wild West Casino has a NYE party starting at 9 PM. Early bird tickets start at $60 (before taxes and fees), and include an open bar from 9 to 11 PM, live music, a free photo booth, swag, a toast at midnight, and even free mechanical bull rides. Tickets here: GoWildNYE
Golden Nugget Atlantic City
- Golden Nugget’s NYE party at the Wave nightclub returns this year, starting at 8 PM. Details from the Golden Nugget here: The Wave NYE party
The party costs $75 and includes a 3 hour open bar (until 11 PM), live entertainment, and party favors. If you want to arrive later, you can buy a $25 ticket that gets you in at 11 PM instead of 8 PM (no open bar). However either way, all attendees receive a “complimentary toast” at midnight. I assume they mean champagne; hopefully it’s not bread.
Hard Rock Atlantic City
- Hard Rock Live – In the resort’s Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena, the 70’s/80’s era band Chicago will be performing on the 31st at 10:30 PM. Tickets are available here: Chicago NYE tickets
Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City
- The indoor Pool After Dark at Harrah’s has a NYE party costing you $95 per person (before taxes and fees). The cost includes a three-hour open bar, and DJ, and balloon drop. You can also purchase a dinner option.
Ocean Casino Resort
- The electronic music trio, Cash Cash performs at Ocean’s HQ2 nightclub on new year’s eve. There are different tier pricing options, most with an open bar from 9 to 11 PM. You can also get general admission tickets after 11 too with a cash bar available. Tickets (with the open bar), start at $59 before taxes and fees. More info at the Ocean Casino Resort page here: CashCashNYE
- At Nola’s Bar & Lounge, entry is $50 for a champagne toast at midnight, and live entertainment by The Rockets and 3 AM Tokyo.
Resorts Casino Hotel Atlantic City
- LandShark Bar – As has been the case in years’ past, the LandShark Bar & Grill has no cover and a party starting at 8 PM. There will be a margarita toast at midnight.
- Margaritaville’s party also starts at 8 PM with no cover charge. There are drink specials and also a margarita toast at midnight. In year’s past, there has been live music as well.
- In the Superstar Theater, Tony Orlando will be performing on the 31st at 10:30 PM. Tickets start at $65 each, before taxes and fees.
Showboat Atlantic City
- The former “Party on the Pier” folks have moved their popular and big New Year’s Eve extravaganza up the boardwalk to the Showboat. This is billed as six parties all under one roof, with venues including the Bourbon room (formerly the House of Blues), among others.
The party features: a “DJ concert hall party, live bands & light show, dueling pianos, karaoke, multiple other DJs, and more!”
A general admission ticket costs $89.95, as of this update, and gets you entry from 9 PM to 2 AM. GA tickets include a 5 hour open bar, entertainment, snacks, live ball drop viewing, champagne toast at midnight and more.
The VIP ticket gets you in the door an hour earlier, at 8 PM, and entitles you to a 6 hour upgraded open bar, food buffet, champagne toast at midnight.
Tropicana Atlantic City Casino & Resort
- At the Tropicana’s Palm Walk area inside the resort, there will be a balloon drop right at midnight, along with a live broadcast of the countdown from Times Square.
- In addition to this, and hosting the fireworks right outside on the beach, the Trop’s Boogie Nights dance club has a NYE party costing you $100 per person (before taxes and fees). This general admission includes an open bar (from 9 PM to 11 PM), along with hors d’oeurves and a balloon drop at midnight. VIP seating packages are available, along with table reservations ranging up to $1,500. Tickets here: BoogieNights2022
- Anthem Lounge (the nightclub in The Quarter – the resort’s dinning/shopping/entertainment area), is bringing back their Frozen Fantasy NYE party. The party runs from 9 PM to Midnight, with tickets starting at $75 (until 12/26), which include a 3 hour “hosted bar,” party favors, noise makers (other than your own voice), and a champagne toast at midnight. Tickets here: Anthem Lounge
Polar Bear Plunge
Not NYE related, but you can shake off that hangover (and quickly) by participating in the 2022 Polar Bear Plunge, at noon, directly in front of Resorts AC on New Year’s Day. The cost is $25, and gets you a t-shirt and certificate (but only if you actually go through with it.) Proceeds go to the Cancer Support Community New Jersey at Gilda’s Club. Tickets and info here: ResortsAC.com/PolarBearPlunge
Weather in AC on New Year’s Eve
According to USclimatedata.com, the average high temperature on December 31st in Atlantic City is 42.6 degrees, while the average low for the day is 25.2 degrees.
As of this update on New Year’s Eve morning, Weather.com’s forecast predicts today’s weather to be cloudy with a chance of rain. The expected high temperature will be 52 degrees, and a low of 47. At midnight, it should be in the high 40’s, with a roughly 30% chance of rain.
You Polar Bear Plunge swimmers will deal with a relatively nice New Year’s Day high of 54 degrees, but cloudy and with an 80% chance of precipitation.
(By Steve Beauregard. Top photo courtesy of Do Ac (The Casino Reinvestment Development Authority). Middle photo courtesy of Marco Verch via Flickr.)