Updated December 2nd, 2021
It may be full of non-stop action, but the casinos and visitors to Atlantic City do usually take a quick pause on December 31st to welcome in the New Year with a dazzling fireworks display over the famed boardwalk.
This is in addition to the numerous casino parties, and dinners held up and down the boardwalk, (as well in the Marina District).
Between luxurious special gourmet dinners, to pool parties, concerts and celebrity DJ’s, there’s no shortage of entertainment options for the throngs of visitors who flock to AC each NYE to ring in the New Year. Most of them at a big cost.
The fireworks, however are free.
Each year, the fireworks specialist company Grucci lights up the sky over the Atlantic, with a display visible for all the neck-cranking visitors on the boardwalk below.
They are shot off from the beach in front of the Tropicana Atlantic City Hotel & Casino.
The Trop graciously puts on the NYE fireworks show, just as they do with a fireworks show on every Saturday night during the summer. The Tropicana is also one of the main sponsors of the July 4th Atlantic City Fireworks display.
Unlike on July 4th, there aren’t fireworks shot off from the Marina District on New Year’s Eve.
As for New Years, this year, December 31st falls on a Friday.
Atlantic City New Year’s Eve 2021/2022 Fireworks Time
Friday, December 31st at 9 PM.
Per the Tropicana’s website: “Start the night off with a bang! At 9 PM on the Boardwalk, Tropicana will dazzle the sky with a vibrant firework performance.”
Based on last year’s show, the Tropicana fireworks shows will include, “intricately designed scenes and vivid effects including Grucci high aerials and grand illuminations.”
Atlantic City 2021/2022 New Year’s Eve Parties, Concerts & Shows
Here are some casinos that have announced special NYE parties to welcome in 2022. (We may receive a commission should you purchase tickets from links below).
Bally’s AC Hotel & Casino
- Starting at 9 PM, DJ Jerry Blavat and R&B icons, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes perform at a dinner show in Bally’s Grand Ballroom. Tickets are $150 each, and include a prime rib dinner, open bar, dancing, and a champagne toast at midnight.
Borgata Hotel & Casino
- Comedian Deon Cole will perform at the Borgata’s Music Box Theater on Saturday, New Year’s Day, at 10 PM.
Caesars Atlantic City
- Caesars AC’s Boardwalk Saloon at the Wild West Casino has a NYE party starting at 9 PM. Early bird tickets start at $60 (before taxes and fees), and include an open bar from 9 to 11 PM, live music, a free photo booth, swag, a toast at midnight, and even free mechanical bull rides. Tickets here: GoWildNYE
Golden Nugget Atlantic City
- Golden Nugget’s NYE party at the Wave nightclub returns this year, starting at 8 PM. Details from the Golden Nugget here: The Wave NYE party
The party costs $75 and includes a 3 hour open bar (until 11 PM), live entertainment, and party favors. If you want to arrive later, you can buy a $25 ticket that gets you in at 11 PM instead of 8 PM (no open bar). However either way, all attendees receive a “complimentary toast” at midnight. I assume they mean champagne; hopefully it’s not bread.
Hard Rock Atlantic City
- Hard Rock Live – In the resort’s Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena, the 70’s/80’s era band Chicago will be performing on the 31st at 10:30 PM. Tickets are available here: Chicago NYE tickets
Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City
- The indoor Pool After Dark at Harrah’s has a NYE party costing you $95 per person (before taxes and fees). The cost includes a three-hour open bar, and DJ, and balloon drop. You can also purchase a dinner option.
Ocean Casino Resort
- The electronic music trio, Cash Cash performs at Ocean’s HQ2 nightclub on new year’s eve. There are different tier pricing options, most with an open bar from 9 to 11 PM. You can also get general admission tickets after 11 too with a cash bar available. Tickets (with the open bar), start at $59 before taxes and fees. More info at the Ocean Casino Resort page here: CashCashNYE
Resorts Casino Hotel Atlantic City
- In the Superstar Theater, Tony Orlando will be performing on the 31st at 10:30 PM. Tickets start at $65 each, before taxes and fees.
Showboat Atlantic City
- The former “Party on the Pier” folks have moved their popular and big New Year’s Eve extravaganza up the boardwalk to the Showboat. This is billed as six parties all under one roof, with venues including the Bourbon room (formerly the House of Blues), among others.
The party features: a “DJ concert hall party, live bands & light show, dueling pianos, karaoke, multiple other DJs, and more!”
A general admission ticket costs $60, and gets you entry from 9 PM to 2 AM. GA tickets include a 5 hour open bar, entertainment, live ball drop viewing, champagne toast at midnight and more.
The VIP ticket gets you in the door an hour earlier, at 8 PM, and entitles you to a 6 hour upgraded open bar, food buffet, champagne toast at midnight.
Tropicana Atlantic City Casino & Resort
- At the Tropicana’s Palm Walk area inside the resort, there will be a balloon drop right at midnight, along with a live broadcast of the countdown from Times Square.
- In addition to this, and hosting the fireworks right outside on the beach, the Trop’s Boogie Nights dance club has a NYE party costing you $100 per person (before taxes and fees). This general admission includes an open bar (from 9 PM to 11 PM), along with hors d’oeurves and a balloon drop at midnight. VIP seating packages are available, along with table reservations ranging up to $1,500. Tickets here: BoogieNights2022
- Anthem Lounge (the nightclub in The Quarter – the resort’s dinning/shopping/entertainment area), is bringing back their Frozen Fantasy NYE party. The party runs from 9 PM to Midnight, with tickets starting at $75 (until 12/26), which include a 3 hour “hosted bar,” party favors, noise makers (other than your own voice), and a champagne toast at midnight. Tickets here: Anthem Lounge
EDITOR’S NOTE: The parties above are the only ones to be announced thus far. Below is wording from previous year’s NYE parties, and may give you an idea of what to expect this year. We will update this as more parties and shows are announced.
* As has been the case in years’ past, the LandShark Bar & Grill has no cover and a DJ performing starting at 8 PM. There will be a margarita toast at midnight.
* Margaritaville has live music starting at 8:30 PM. There’s no cover charge, but there are drink specials and also a margarita toast at midnight.
Ocean Casino Resort
Ocean’s “Countdown to 2020” party starts at 6 PM and includes different venues, including:
* William Hill Sportbook – Live music from 8 PM to 1 AM with a confetti canon at midnight.
There will also be live music at the Villain & Saint bar and restaurant.
The resort’s Premier Nightclub is hosting DJ Brooke Evers at 10 PM on December 31st. Tickets start at $30 for general admission standing areas.
*** Main Atrium – As they typically do, the Golden Nugget will have a free party in the main atrium. There will be live bands performing, starting at 5:30 PM, and a DJ starting at 10 PM. There’s also a confetti drop at midnight.
Weather in AC on New Year’s Eve
According to USclimatedata.com, the average high temperature on December 31st in Atlantic City is 42.6 degrees, while the average low for the day is 25.2 degrees.
As of this update, Weather.com’s forecast for today calls for a high of 48 degrees, with a 5% chance of moisture. At 9 PM, (when the fireworks are shot off), the temperature is expected to be 43 degrees, however it will feel like 37 degrees with humidity and the wind factored in.
(By Steve Beauregard. Top photo courtesy of Do Ac (The Casino Reinvestment Development Authority). Middle photo courtesy of Marco Verch via Flickr.)