Updated January 11th, 2022
(Editor’s note: Once plans for the 2023 NYE party are announced, we will update this article accordingly. Below is the article for last year’s NYE party.)
The annual Las Vegas New Year’s Eve fireworks show is back! And while other cities are shutting down or scaling back their celebrations, tonight’s Sin City’s NYE party is full speed ahead.
Each New Year’s Eve, over 300,000 revelers crowd the Strip to ring in the new year and watch the fireworks display. While the 2020 display was unfortunately cancelled, Las Vegas officials announced that America’s Party 2022 will be bigger than ever (thanks to a new casino added to the display), to help us welcome in 2022 in style.
While fireworks are shot off at midnight, the Las Vegas Strip NYE party begins at 5 PM on Friday, December 31st, when all vehicle traffic is shut down, making the Strip the world’s largest block party.
In the last year the fireworks were held (2019), city officials estimated that 318,000 out-of-town visitors came to Sin City for New Year’s Eve. The city typically spends $500,000 on the display.
This year, eight different casinos on the Las Vegas Strip will participate in a coordinated December 31st fireworks show. This is up from the seven casinos in prior year’s shows, thanks to the addition of Resorts World fireworks.
Las Vegas Strip NYE Fireworks Time and Location
Full detailed plans for 2021 revealed by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, show the time and locations for the “America’s Party 2022” fireworks show as follows:
Friday, December 31st at Midnight
The following eight casino resorts will all shoot fireworks off of the top of their hotels right at midnight:
- The Strat
- Resorts World
- Treasure Island
- The Venetian
- Caesars Palace
- Planet Hollywood
- MGM Grand
This year, 80,000 fireworks will be set off during a choregraphed fireworks display lasting around eight minutes. It comes out to about 150 fireworks per second.
Just before the fireworks show, there will be a lighted countdown (10, 9, 8…) up the Strat’s tall tower. And, as is tradition, the Strip fireworks show will accompanied by music, including of course, “Auld Lang Syne.”
Where to watch fireworks in Las Vegas on New Year’s Eve
For free? You can enjoy the fireworks from the Strip, as the road is closed to traffic beginning at 5 PM on New Year’s Eve, creating a huge pedestrian walkway.
From the MGM Grand to the south, to the Stratosphere on the north end, there’ll be great spots up and down the Strip, but the center Strip (think outside Caesars Palace), is where you’ll get more bang for your buck.
Those of you who don’t mind paying a little (or a lot), to gain a good vantage point have plenty of options.
Las Vegas Strip New Year’s Eve Fireworks Viewing Parties
These are in alphabetical order. Some of the links below are affiliate links through which I may receive a commission.
In addition to shooting off fireworks, Caesars has typically had a viewing party on the Spanish Steps in the Roman courtyard area out in front of Caesars (near the Bellagio side), running from 10 PM to 1 AM on New Year’s Eve. Plans for 2022 have yet to be announced.
Inside, however three of Caesars notable bars/lounges are having parties. These are not fireworks viewing parties, but include:
- Vanderpump Cocktail Garden – $80 gets you admission, one glass of champagne, seating, and a raffle ticket for prizes.
- Vista Lounge – Bottle service for a table of 4 starts at $923 (before taxes and fees).
- Alto Lounge – Tables with bottle service for 2 start at $488 (before taxes and fees).
The most updated prices and availability for these parties can be found here: CaesarsPalace/NYE2022
Cosmopolitan Las Vegas
- Ice Rink – SOLD OUT. Each winter, the Cosmo turn their Boulevard Pool area into the only ice skating rink atop the Strip. And given this elevated location, it offers fantastic views of the fireworks.
On New Year’s Eve, the ice rink party starts at 9 PM, and includes skate rentals (while supplies last), a 3 hour open bar, and champagne toast at midnight.
Tickets are $200 each or $483.15 for two people combined after taxes and fees. Tickets are available here: Cosmo Ice Skating.
- The Chandelier – SOLD OUT. Level 1.5 inside the Cosmo has an affordable party (especially by Cosmo standards). Costing $125 per person before taxes, fees and tips, the 10 PM to 2 AM party includes an open bar and champagne, live DJ performance, party favors, and access to the ice rink above to watch the fireworks.
Hard Rock Cafe
The Hard Rock Cafe is directly on the Las Vegas Strip – just north of MGM Grand and right across from Park MGM. The restaurant and bar has 3 floors and outdoor patios for great viewing of the NYE Strip fireworks.
They have three NYE ticket options: (1) The 6 PM package, (2) The 9 PM package or (3) Both.
(1) The 6 PM Package is a combination of comedy show, dinner, and open bar.
Starting at 6 PM on the 31st, and going until 8 PM, you get an open bar, general admission seat to the comedy show, and a three-course dinner.
Tickets cost $150 each, or $320 total for two people after fees. Tickets available here: 6 PM Hard Rock NYE Tickets
(2) The 9 PM Package costs $195 per person, and gets you 3 hours of an open premium bar, food stations with heavy appetizers, a live band, party favors and a champagne toast at midnight.
For 2 people, the total cost after taxes and fees is $410 combined. Tickets are available here: Hard Rock Cafe 9 PM New Year’s Eve
3) Both – Should you want both parties, there is a discount. Buying both parties (giving you admission from 8 PM to Midnight) with all of the benefits of both parties costs $320 per person after fees, or $640 for a couple. Again this includes fees. You’ll want to navigate to purchase the 9 PM package, then choose the “NYE Comedy Show and Dinner Upsell Discount” add-on before finalizing the purchase.
Margaritaville Las Vegas
On the north end of the Flamingo Hotel and Casino is the tropical-themed restaurant across from Caesars Palace. It has a great-Strip front location and a NYE bash starting at 9 PM.
There are two packages available: one for the Main floor, and one for the 2nd & 3rd floors.
Main Floor: The $99 per person (which includes taxes and fees) ticket gets you an open bar from 9 PM to Midnight on the first (main) floor, along with a champagne toast, live entertainment and party favors. Seating is “open” meaning you probably won’t get one.
2nd & 3rd Floor: The $199 ticket per person ticket (which includes taxes and fees) gets you better views of the fireworks on Margarita’s 2nd and 3rd floors, along with the 3 hour open bar, champagne toast, party favors, “heavy” d’oeuvres, and a D.J. The website says that like the party below on the first floor, seating is open and unassigned.
Situated on the 64th floor of the Delano Las Vegas at Mandalay Bay, the Skyfall Lounge’s soaring perch on the southernmost end of the Strip gives you an incredible perspective of all the fireworks blasted off the roofs from the casinos to the North.
General admission tickets to the Skyfall Lounge’s NYE Party start at $195 (before taxes and fees), if you want access to the patio to see the fireworks ($145 if you’re okay staying inside). There’s a DJ playing, and drinks are on your own.
There are other packages including table reservations for $3,500, which gives you admission for eight people, long with two bottles of alcohol, and two bottles of champagne. Tables for 12 people go for $5K and include 8 bottles (4 champagne/4 premium liquor).
Info here: DelanoLasVegas/Skyfall
NY-NY Hotel and Casino
Just as they’ve done in years past, the NY-NY Hotel and Casino once again is hosting their “New Year’s Eve Bridge Bash” on the outdoor bridge section of the resort on 12/31/21.
The $264.07 starting ticket price (before taxes and fees) gets you general admission, a DJ, party favors, and, “food Offerings From Local Food Trucks & Open Bars.”
Tickets directly from the New York – New York Hotel & Casino are available from their page here: NYNY Bridge Bash 2022
Planet Hollywood Hotel & Casino
- The Cabo Wabo Cantina is Sammy Hagar’s Mexican-themed restaurant/bar across from the Bellagio at the Miracle Mile Shops at PH. They have all-you-can drink patio party seating starting at $250.
- PBR Rock Bar (also in the Miracle Mile Shops and also with outdoor patio seating), has pricey NYE packages that include bottle service. Prices start at $433.50 each before taxes and fees.
- Suki at Koi is the ultralounge at Planet Hollywood with Strip views. The PH website doesn’t have anything on this, but 3rd party sites advertise their NYE party as starting at $140 (for females before taxes and fees), which includes an open bar from 10 PM to midnight.
- Not a viewing party, but PH’s Heart Bar has a NYE party, where a table of six costs a $600 beverage minimum, but includes 2 bottles.
Paris Las Vegas
There are several different New Year’s Eve viewing parties at Paris Las Vegas.
(1) Chateau -SOLD OUT
The indoor/outdoor patio club atop the Paris Las Vegas offers one of the more affordable parties, (by Las Vegas standards), however all of their packages and seats have already sold out.
(2) Beer Park at Paris Las Vegas – SOLD OUT
The reserved bar seating tickets are $200 apiece. Tables start at a $1,250 for indoor table for six. It comes with 2 bottles of Grey Goose and 1 bottle of Moet.
(3) HEXX Kitchen/Alexxa’s Ultra lounge – SOLD OUT. These are the strip-facing restaurant/lounges on the sidewalk out in front of the Paris. HEXX Kitchen tables have sold out. Alexxa’s has 4 person tables for $600 (before taxes, tips and fees).
(4) Napoleon Lounge – This isn’t a viewing party as this piano bar is in inside, but their table for 4 fetches $400 and includes a drink credit and champagne. Info here: Napoleon’s NYE
Sahara Las Vegas
On the far northern end of the Las Vegas Strip, the Sahara’s new 35,000 square foot Azilo Ultra Lounge Pool area is hosting a pretty affordable party. Tickets cost $75 (before taxes and fees) for a premium open bar ( Bulleit Bourbon, Kettle One vodka and the like), that runs from 9 PM all the way to 2 AM (unlike most parties, where the free drinks stop at midnight).
There will be a DJ, live bands, and this upper outdoor area will offer great views of the fireworks. Tickets from the Sahara here: Sahara NYE party
The casino on the far northern end of Las Vegas Boulevard that was previously known as “The Stratosphere” offers one of the best views in all of Las Vegas.
Their “Party at the Top” 2022 NYE party costs $150 per ticket and gets you admission to the SkyPod Tower party at the indoor observation deck on Level 108 atop the Strip. There is also a DJ and party favors, but drinks are on your own. The party runs from 9 PM to 1:30.
The Strat’s Top of the World rotating restaurant also has very pricey dinner packages available. We’re talking starting prices of $360 per person.
Information about the party and dinner options here: The Strat 2022 NYE
T.I. Treasure Island Hotel & Casino
- The country-themed Gilley’s Nightclub is inside, however their patio borders the Strip, and their NYE party has “Strip access for fireworks.” Considering that T.I. is one of the casinos shooting off fireworks, this spot is pretty good.
They’ll have live music with Scotty Alexander and party favors. You buy your own food and drinks here, but that’s to be expected when there is NO COVER CHARGE (before 8 PM). After 8, it’s $25. Plus you can ride the mechanical bull for just ten bucks.
- Senor Frogs has an open bar party starting for $149 (before taxes and fees).
Venetian & Palazzo Hotels & Casino
Thirty-six floors atop the Venetian Tower sits their Prestige Club Lounge, (and one 23 floors atop the Palazzo). Both overlook the Strip, and both have New Year’s Eve parties. The Palazzo has a 70’s disco themed party, while the Venetian’s is a more upscale1920’s era theme. Either way, tickets cost $250 and include a champagne toast at midnight. You can purchase a drink package add on for an additional $100.
NYE Shows & Concerts NYE in Las Vegas
Updated 12/31/21: From the numerous Cirque du Soleil shows to the Blue Man Group, from magic shows like David Copperfield to concerts by Katy Perry and Maroon Five, there are no shortage of shows, performances and concerts to enjoy before the fireworks. We’ll update this as shows are announced.
This hard-to-describe “immersive” experience boasts 4 acre festival grounds are just off of I-15, about 3/4 of a mile west of the Wynn/Encore.
Their very first Playa Playground New Year’s Eve Music & Art Festival includes 3 different venues featuring lights, music, art, carnival rides and more. Available tickets start in the mid $200’s each as of this update.
- Aria’s Jewell Nightclub will once again have Lil Jon performing a DJ set at 9 PM on 12/31/21.
- Usher has a popular residency at the Colosseum and his shows around NYE include concerts on Wednesday December 29th, the 31st, and on January 1st. All shows start at 8 PM and are pretty pricey: Usher NYE
- Steve Aoki welcomes in 2022 at the resort’s Omnia nightclub at 8 PM on the 31st.
- The Cosmo’s Chelsea Theater will play host to Maroon 5 for two shows, Thursday 12/30/21 and Friday, New Year’s Eve – both at 8 PM. Tickets are pricey, but available here: Maroon 5 New Year’s Eve
- Eleven stories up on top of the Cromwell is where you’ll find Drai’s Beachclub/Nightclub, with 70,000 square feet of outdoor space and great views of the Strip (and fireworks).
Rick Ross will be performing on NYE. Remaining tickets for ladies start at $150 (before taxes and fees), while the men pay $200. This does not include free drinks or anything, however I believe there is a free champagne toast at midnight. Tickets from Drai’s available here: Drai’s NYE 2022
- Popular magician David Copperfield has a long-running residency at MGM Grand, and he works very hard this time of year, with three shows every day. From Christmas Eve up to (and including), New Year’s Eve, Copperfield wows the crowd at 3 different shows starting at 4PM, 7 PM and 9:30 PM.
- Hakkasan is MGM Grand’s nightclub, where South African DJ Black Coffee will perform at 8 PM. Tickets range from $75 for pre-sale tickets for females, (this includes a 2 hour open bar), all the way up to $15,00 for a VIP table in the Main Room for 20 people. Tickets here: Hakkasannightclub.com
- The resort’s House of Blues hosts former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth on both NYE and on the first. Both shows start at 8 PM. Tickets here: David Lee Roth at House of Blues.
- Bruno Mars plays at 9 PM on both December 30th, and the 31st at the Dolby Live theater at Park MGM. Tickets here: Bruno Mars Park MGM
- The 80’s pop band The Jets perform in Planet Hollywood’s V Theater at 6:30 PM.
- Katy Perry has three concerts for the week of NYE 2021/2022: Wednesday the 29th, December 31st, and New Year’s Day. All shows start at 8 PM: Katy Perry NYE tickets.
- Also at Resorts World, in their Zouk Nightclub, Zedd performs (doors open at 10 PM), on New Year’s Eve. Tickets range from $100 for ladies general admission (men are $150), all the way up to stage seating where there is a gulp, $32,500 minimum spend for a table for multiple people.
- If you’re interested in catching some hockey action prior to the night’s festivities, the Las Vegas Golden Knights play the Anaheim Ducks at noon at the fun (and loud), T-Mobile Arena. Tickets here: Golden Knights 12/31/21
Virgin Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
- The former Hard Rock Casino just east of the Strip hosts Lizzo at 10 PM. Tickets here: Lizzo NYE tickets
Wynn Las Vegas
- Once again, the Chainsmokers will be performing at the XS nightclub at the Wynn at 9 PM on New Year’s Eve. Diplo plays the night before.
Weather in Las Vegas during New Years Eve
Historically on New Year’s Day, the average high temperature in Las Vegas is 56 degrees, while the average low is 38 degrees.
(Go here to read about Las Vegas weather in January)
As of this update on New Year’s Eve morning, Weather.com’s forecast for the 31st predicts a partly cloudy day with an expected high of 58 degrees, with a low of 38 degrees. At midnight, they predict it to be 45 degrees with zero precipitation but with 16 mile per hour winds.
Security on the Strip for NYE
The already significant Strip security plan was beefed up significantly a few years ago, following the October 2017 attack at the Route 91 Harvest Festival across from Mandalay Bay. City officials increased security funding 300%.
According to Deputy Chief Andrew Walsh of the Las Vegas Metro Police Department, 1,700 officers patrolled the Strip on NYE in 2019, many in plains clothes to watch over the festivities. In addition, one hundred Nevada National Guard troops are usually be out in force to help everyone welcome in the new year safely.
The Strip is closed to vehicles at around 5 PM on the 31st, from Mandalay Bay Road on the south end, to Sahara Avenue on the north end. It will reopen to cars at around 3:30 AM on New Year’s Day.
Las Vegas Strip New Year’s Eve Rules
- Please note that per Las Vegas Metro Police, revelers are not allowed to have backpacks or strollers on the Strip on New Year’s Eve. Also, there is a curfew on the Strip for NYE. You must be 18 years or older to be on the Strip after 6 PM on the 31st.
- Bags cannot be larger than 12’’ x 6’’ x 12’’.
- Glass containers are not allowed on the Strip, for a 24 hour period starting at 6 AM on the 31st.
- In recent years, many casino/hotels have required you to be a guest to access the resort during specific times. For example, between 11 PM and 1 AM, all of the MGM Resorts hotels, (like Mandalay Bay), required everyone to show a hotel room key before entering the property.
- Should you get tired walking up and down the Strip, please know the Las Vegas Monorail will extend their hours and will be running continuously for 44 straight hours on New Year’s Eve. With a lack of Uber/Lyft/Taxi service on Las Vegas Boulevard itself, this may be an attractive option. You can get an unlimited 24 hour pass for $13, or single rides for $5.
- Please note that if there are high winds, the show could be delayed up to 1 AM. If winds persist after 1 AM, the fireworks will likely be cancelled.
- According to the company, Fireworks by Grucci, it takes more than 60 pyrotechnicians (along with help from casino workers), and five full days to set-up the fireworks display.
- The 2019 America’s Party marked the 20th anniversary of fireworks being shot off above the Las Vegas Strip.
New Year’s Eve on Fremont Street in Downtown Las Vegas
The 2022 welcome party does not stop at the Strip of course. For many, the energy and fun vibe in downtown Las Vegas rivals, or even exceeds that of its pricier casino neighbors to the south.
In fact, last year, due to the pandemic, the Strip did not have NYE fireworks, but Fremont Street did.
For December 31st, 2021, the Plaza Hotel & Casino has posted on their website their yearly fireworks will take place at midnight.
Fremont Street Experience NYE Party
New this year: Fremont Street will be home to a big 80’s and 90’s themed NYE bash, with performances by Bobby Brown, Vanilla Ice, Village People, A Flock of Seagulls, and Tone Loc, on a special stage in the middle of Fremont Street.
While access to Fremont Street is typically free, on NYE there is a charge to enter, along with security checks as well. Everyone must be 21 or older. Tickets are $35 before taxes and fees, and can purchased from the Fremont Street Experience’s official site here: VegasExperience.com
Closer to the event, (after Christmas), tickets can be purchased at Fremont Street hotels and at the Slotzilla zipline office. On New Year’s Eve, you can purchase tickets at the entry gates into Fremont Street.
The $35 fee may be increased closer to NYE, and only includes access to the party. There are plenty of bars up and down Fremont Street of course. There will also be a custom NYE-themed, 3D motion graphics show in place of the normal light show broadcast on the canopy above.
NYE Fremont Street Shows & Events
Plaza Hotel & Casino
- In addition to generously hosting the fireworks show, the Plaza will have comedian Doug Stanhope for an 8 PM New Year’s Eve show in their showroom, however this show has sold out.
- Also, on NYE, you can purchase tickets to a party (running from 7 PM to 11 PM) that is complete with a dinner buffet, bar, and dancing. Other NYE weekend events include rooftop fireworks viewing and even “Boozy Bingo.”
More information about the Plaza’s NYE plans can be found here: Plaza Las Vegas NYE
Circa Las Vegas
- Legacy Club is the beautiful cocktail lounge on the 60th level atop the Circa Las Vegas hotel & Casino. Their 2022 NYE party general admission tickets start at $350 per person and includes an open bar.
Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino
- Blue Oyster Cult takes the stage for one show at The Showroom at the Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino on Fremont Street in downtown Las Vegas at 8 PM on New Year’s Eve.
Las Vegas New Year’s Eve FAQ
(By Steve Beauregard. Photos courtesy of Caesars Entertainment (top), Las Vegas Blog via Flickr, MGM Resorts International, The Plaza Hotel & Casino, and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.