Connecticut Online Casinos Sites (2023 Update)
- Almost all forms of online gambling are legal in Connecticut as of 2021. HB 6415 legalized online casinos, sportsbooks, and poker through new tribal gaming compacts.
- The new legislation allows for two Connecticut online casinos and three internet sportsbooks. Offshore casinos and betting sites can also legally accept players from Connecticut.
- Offshore gambling sites have bigger bonuses and more privacy than state-regulated sites by virtue of them supporting crypto payments. Because there is a limit on the number of Connecticut casinos, offshore operators also provide far more variety.
- Some offshore casinos are illegitimate, so make sure you do your research before signing up. All the sites listed on this page have been vetted by our experts and are 100% safe and trustworthy.
- There is no Connecticut online poker despite it being legal. Tribal casinos partnered with online operators that don’t offer poker, so offshore poker sites are your only option.
- When choosing the best Connecticut gambling sites, always compare the game variety, minimum and maximum betting limits, and payment options. Look for big bonuses with low wagering requirements to boost your bankroll.
Top Connecticut Online Casinos Reviewed 2023
1. Café Casino
Established in 2016, Café Casino is one of the best online casinos in Connecticut. The gambling site is owned by Lynton Limited, the parent company behind the reputable Bodog Casino. They have a gambling license from the Government of Curacao and promise safe and trusted online gaming.
All the online casino games at Café Casino work on a random number generator (RNG), meaning they’re 100% fair. There are 230 games in total, including online slots, roulette, blackjack, video poker, and live dealer games. These are produced by numerous developers (Revolver Gaming, RTG, Rival, Spinomenal, etc.), and Café Casino has even developed some in-house games that you cannot find elsewhere.
Another reason we love Café Casino is because of its online casino bonus. You can claim a 250% up to $1,500 match bonus on your first deposit. If you fund your account using Bitcoin, this increases to a 350% up to $2,500 bonus. Once registered, you’re also automatically enrolled into their loyalty scheme, where you receive constant perks and rewards.
The payment methods at Café Casino include credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX), cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Tether, Litecoin, and Ethereum), and bank wire. We love this variety, and the wide-ranging deposit limits suit high- and low-rollers alike. Deposit as little as $5 or upwards of $5,000 in one go.
BetUS has been around since 1994. Throughout its three decades of operation, BetUS has pulled together more than 480 online casino games and an extensive sportsbook. It’s the perfect gambling site if you’re into all types of wagering because all their games are on a single platform.
All the casino games at BetUS are from three big developers: Betsoft Gaming, DGS, and Nucleus. Most of their titles are online slots (350+ games), including progressive jackpots, bonus-packed video slots, and classic three-reel games. There are also electronic and live versions of all your classic table games, like roulette and blackjack.
The payment methods at BetUS mirror Café Casino, offering all major credit cards and cryptocurrencies. However, BetUS also supports Apple Pay and Google Pay for deposits. This is super convenient if you know you will be playing from your mobile, and their responsive website is fully functional on all modern handheld devices.
When registering for BetUS, you get a 150% up to $3,000 match bonus on your first deposit. This increases to 250% up to $5,000 when funding your account with crypto. Weekly reload offers and daily casino bonuses are also available once you’ve claimed this welcome promotion.
How to Sign Up with the Best Connecticut Online Casino
1. Go to Website and Create an Online Casino Account
Go to Café Casino, the best online casino for Connecticut players. Click the “Join” button, then enter the required information into the sign-up form. Set your username and password and hit “Confirm” to finalize the creation of your new account.
2. Deposit Funds and Enter Promo Code
Head to the cashier screen and choose your preferred deposit method (cryptocurrency gets our vote). Enter the amount of money with which you want to fund your account and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction. Before hitting confirm, choose your welcome bonus from the drop-down list so that it’s applied to your deposit.
3. Choose Game and Play for Real Money
Head to the Café Casino games library and browse their titles. You can filter the games by category (slots, table games, live casino, etc.) to easily find a game you love. Click your chosen title, place your wager, and see if your bet comes in.
Connecticut Online Gambling Laws―Are Online Casinos Legal?
Online gambling is legal in Connecticut. The state launched regulated online casinos, poker rooms, and sportsbooks in October 2021 for anyone aged 21 and over. This happened after the governor signed HB 6451 into law, which amended the current tribal compact. Daily fantasy sports (DFS) and online racebooks are also legal in Connecticut.
The new online gambling legislation allows only two online casinos and three online sportsbooks to operate in the state. Therefore, offshore casinos remain a fantastic option for players in Connecticut:
- Offshore online casinos are gambling sites outside US jurisdiction and are regulated in places like Panama, Malta, and Gibraltar. Offshore casino sites are legal, and many accept players from Connecticut.
- Because offshore casinos aren’t governed by Connecticut gambling laws, they aren’t regulated in the USA. However, the passage of legal online casino gambling in 2021 also allows offshore sites to operate freely.
- Offshore online casinos offer better welcome bonuses and cryptocurrency payments than you can get at state-run casinos.
- Online poker is legal in Connecticut and was approved in the same bill that legalized online casinos and sportsbooks. Yet, despite being legal, online poker is not yet available in Connecticut.
- Online poker won’t be coming to the state any time soon because tribal casinos are only allowed to partner with one operator as per the gambling laws. Both chose operators that don’t offer poker.
- Offshore poker sites like Ignition are your only option for playing real money poker online. They are legal after the passing of the new online gambling legislation.
- Offshore sportsbooks are also available in Connecticut. Although CT has three sports betting sites, offshore alternatives open up your options substantially.
Is Gambling at Offshore Casinos Safe?
All the Connecticut online casinos recommended on this page are safe and legitimate. Our experts have checked that their payment methods are secure and that the casino games are random, thus ensuring you have a real chance of winning.
Overseas governments, such as gambling commissions in Panama and Curacao, also license all the sites on our list. These licenses are less stringent than the US ones but prove that these sites are operating legally; the operators have taken the time to obtain a license and have jumped through all the necessary regulatory hoops.
Unfortunately, not all offshore online casinos are as reputable as our top picks. Because overseas casinos operate outside US jurisdiction, there is no guarantee they’re safe. We always recommend playing at one of our recommended offshore casinos to ensure you don’t fall victim to scams.
Connecticut Online Gambling Legislation Timeline
- 1971: Connecticut lawmakers legalize lottery sales and pari-mutuel wagering. The state launches its own lottery (Connecticut Lottery) and legalizes multi-state draws.
- 1986: Tribal gaming begins in Connecticut with the opening of a high-stakes bingo venue on reservation land belonging to the Mashantucket Pequot tribe.
- 1992: The Mohegan Tribe gain federal recognition and can legally offer gaming on sovereign land. Table games are authorized at tribal casinos, and slots are legalized a year later in 1993.
- 1996: The Mohegan Tribe opens its first Native American casino in Uncasville after four years of planning, construction, and development.
- 2017: Public Act 17-209 names the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection as the regulatory body for overseeing sports betting if it were to be legalized.
- 2018: After the overturning of the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992, the Public Safety & Security Committee holds a hearing on legalizing sports betting. Lawmakers and sports affiliations gather to discuss fees, revenue, and opinions on the legalization of the industry.
- 2020: After not appearing in the 2020 legislative session, two sports betting bills are introduced: HB 5168 and SB 21. Neither is passed, and both die after multiple hearings.
- 2021: HB 6415 passes and amends tribal compacts, allowing tribes to offer sports betting and iGaming. Expanded gambling legislation also authorizes the Connecticut Lottery to offer online sports betting. The first gambling sites launch in October.
Connecticut Tribal Partnerships
There are five federally recognized Native Indian tribes in Connecticut, but the state has negotiated tribal compacts with just two: the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe and the Mohegan Tribe.
The original gaming compacts for these tribes were agreed upon in 1986 and 1992, respectively. These compacts have been adapted over the years to include in-person table games and slot machines, alongside high-stakes bingo.
More recently, officials signed new Class III gaming compacts in 2021. These updated compacts allowed tribes to offer retail and internet sports betting as well as online casino gaming. Although the Connecticut Lottery was also given the green light to online sports betting, internet casino games are reserved for tribes.
Connecticut-Licensed Gambling Sites
Connecticut gambling laws permit three online sports betting operators and two online casinos. Here are all your current state-run gambling options:
- FanDuel Sportsbook – October 2021 (Mohegan Tribe).
- DraftKings Sportsbook – October 2021 (Mashantucket Pequot Tribe).
- SugarHouse Sportsbook – October 2021 (Connecticut Lottery).
- DraftKings Casino Connecticut – October 2021 (Mashantucket Pequot Tribe).
- Mohegan Sun Online Casino – October 2022 (Mohegan Tribe).
Connecticut Online Casino Bonuses
There are many valuable bonuses at Connecticut online casinos, but the biggest promotions are at offshore sites. Here are some of the most common bonuses you’ll come across.
Deposit Match Bonuses
A deposit match bonus is where the operator gives you part of your deposit back as promotional credits. The higher the percentage match, the more money you receive for your investment. A 100% matched bonus doubles the money in your account, whereas a 200% match triples it.
The BetUS welcome bonus is a fantastic example. You get a 150% match up to $3,000 on your first deposit. You’ll only need to fund your account with $2,000 to claim the maximum amount, instantly taking your bankroll to a massive $5,000 in total.
Cryptocurrency bonuses are special deposit bonuses that you’re only eligible for if funding your account with crypto. They’re always worth more than standard casino bonuses, so we recommend claiming these lavish rewards where available.
Wild Casino offers one of the best cryptocurrency bonuses we have ever seen. They’re giving all new players a 300% match up to $3,000 on their first deposit, followed by four 150% matches of up to $1,500. That means you can claim up to $9,000 across your first five deposits.
No-deposit bonuses are promotions you can claim without having to fund your account. Operators typically give them to new players to thank them for registering. They’re an excellent way to test the games before investing real money, while still giving you a chance of winning a real cash payout.
Casinos can make a loss if they hand out too many no-deposit bonuses, so these offers are rare. However, our experts have found one at our top-rated Red Dog Casino. After creating an account, message the live chat and request either a $40 no-deposit bonus for slots or a $25 no-deposit bonus for all other games.
After you’ve claimed the welcome bonuses, you can leverage reload offers. Reload bonuses are matched promotions for ongoing deposits (when you reload your account with real money). Time your deposits around these promotions, and you can get many bankroll boosts.
BetUS is the best casino for reload offers. They have three weekly reload promotions that run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays:
- 250% match up to $2,500 for slots on a Tuesday.
- 10% match on cryptocurrency deposits on a Thursday.
- 150% match up to $1,500 +200 free spins on a Saturday.
VIP programs are how operators reward their most loyal players. Generally, you earn points with every real-money wager placed at the casino. These points determine your loyalty status, and you unlock perks, bonuses, and prizes as you climb through the tiers. The more you spend at the casino, the bigger and better the perks you unlock.
Ignition’s VIP program is a brilliant example. You earn Ignition Miles every time you wager at their casino or poker room to earn cash prizes or bonuses. The more Ignition Miles you earn over your lifetime, the better the redemption rate is when trading them in for prizes.
Mobile Gambling Apps in Connecticut
Online casino apps make it easier to gamble on the go, at home, or anywhere else.
Android Mobile Gambling
Android apps for the two legal online casinos in Connecticut (Mohegan Sun CT and DraftKings Casino) can be downloaded from the Google Play store. The applications require Android 6.0 and 5.0 or higher, respectively. You also need to ensure you have enough storage space on your device.
Our recommended Connecticut online casino apps don’t require installation. They are built on HTML 5 technology and instantly adapt to your Android device. Simply head to the casino website using the Samsung Internet app or Google Chrome to have full access to your account. You can play games, make payments, and claim bonuses.
iOS Mobile Gambling
Regulated Connecticut online casino apps can be downloaded from the App Store. Whether playing from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you need iOS 10.0 or later for DraftKings Casino or iOS 14.0 or later for the Mohegan Sun online casino.
A better alternative is to access offshore casinos on the Safari browser. You can access all the games instantly without concerns over space or device updates. Some offshore casinos also offer downloadable apps, but these won’t be listed at the App Store and can contain malicious content. We recommend web-based apps unless they’ve been safety vetted by our experts.
Advantages of Offshore Gambling Sites
You can get a 100% up to $1,000 welcome bonus when playing at the Mohegan Sun online casino. This is a decent offer, but offshore casinos give away far more generous promotions. Take Red Dog’s crypto offer, which gives you an uncapped 275% bonus. And this isn’t an anomaly—offshore casinos consistently run massive promotions that Connecticut-run gambling sites simply can’t match.
Offshore casinos have unbeatable game portfolios, often relying on several renowned software developers to power their games. Below are some of the big names behind the titles at our top-rated Connecticut casinos:
- Revolver Gaming
- Concept Gaming
- Visionary iGaming
- Play’n GO
- Pragmatic Play
- Belatra Games
- Amatic Industries
Crypto payments are quicker and more secure than FIAT transactions and provide access to exclusive offers. Cryptocurrencies are not permitted at Connecticut-licensed casinos or sportsbooks, so you miss out on all these perks. However, they’re fully supported at all our recommended offshore sites. Wild Casino is the best option, supporting as many as 18 digital currencies.
In Connecticut, you must pay income tax on all online casino winnings (in-person or online) and report your winnings to the authorities. This isn’t the case when gambling at international casino sites; because they operate outside US jurisdiction, you are not obligated to report your winnings. This enhances your privacy and reduces your tax bill.
What Games Can I Play at Connecticut Online Casinos?
You can play online versions of all your favorite land-based casino games, from slot machines to live roulette. Here is a look at the main game categories available.
Online slots are the most common game at Connecticut casinos; they come with various themes, paylines, and betting limits. Whether you want to play a classic fruit machine-style penny slot or an underwater-themed high-stakes game starting at $5+ per payline, you can find it.
For the biggest slot variety, check out Wild Casino. There have 363 slot games, including three-reel games, progressive jackpots, and bonus-packed video slots. Some of our favorites include
- Rags to Witches
- 88 Frenzy Fortune
- Spin it Vegas
- Wilds of Fortune
- 7 Fortune Frenzy
- Eagle Gold 2
- Winds Of Wealth
Wild Casino also runs weekly slot tournaments with a $5,000 cash prize pool. The player at the top of the leaderboard takes home $1,000, and the remaining money is split between the runners-up. And the best part―it’s completely free to enter. To receive your invitation, you need to play slots on four days of the week.
You’ll find video poker at all our top-rated Connecticut casinos and state-licensed sites. The most popular game is Jacks or Better,but BetUS also has a great selection of other titles. Some of our favorites among their 24 video poker games include
- Aces and Faces
- Joker Poker
- Tens or Better
- Aces and Eights
- Deuces Wild
- Double Double Bonus
As the most popular table game, it’s no surprise that every Connecticut online casino offers blackjack. For example, Café Casino and Ignition have eight blackjack variants, Red Dog Casino has three, and Wild Casino has an impressive 13.
However, BetUS has the most variety out of our top picks. It features 32 unique variants, including Double Deck Blackjack, Multi-Hand Blackjack, and Blackjack Switch.Almost all of their blackjack games have a high-limit version tailored toward high-rollers, while casual players can enjoy their $1 per game Single Hand Blackjack.
You can play roulette at all our recommended casinos. Red Dog only stocks one title: a version of European Rouletteby RTG. This is a solid table game with superb graphics, but you should try one of our other options if you want more variety.
Wild Casino has 11 roulette games from Betsoft and Nucleus, including American Roulette, Platinum Chip Roulette, and Double Ball Roulette.Meanwhile, Café Casino has four roulette versions, and Ignition and BetUS have five each.
The “table games” category generally consists of all table games apart from blackjack and roulette. Only a handful of these games are available online, so they’re usually listed together. It might include games like baccarat, craps, three-card rummy, and casino war.
You’ll also find poker games in this section. For example, Wild Casino offers Oasis Poker, Texas Hold’Em, Caribbean Poker, and Triple Edge Poker. The best place to play online poker is at a dedicated site like Ignition. Their poker rooms are on the same platform as their casino, so you can effortlessly swap between the two.
With only two land-based casinos in Connecticut, live dealer games provide the most authentic casino experience you can have without traveling across the state. All our recommended operators have live casinos, primarily developed by the renowned Visionary iGaming (ViG).
Café Casino and Ignition have six live dealer games, while BetUS has seven. Wild Casino has the biggest selection of live dealer games, which are the following:
- Blackjack Early Payout
- Blackjack HD
- European Roulette
- Auto European Roulette
- American Roulette
- Auto American Roulette
- Live Baccarat
- Live Super 6
Bingo is less popular at online casinos, and you shouldn’t bank on it being at every site. However, it is available at both Café Casino and Ignition. Café Casino has the most extensive bingo selection, offering the following seven games:
- Amazonia Bingo
- Bingo Cataratas
- Bingo Goal
- Bingo Ribeirinhos
- Go-Go Bingo
- Pesca Bingo
- Tribo Bingo
New Online Casino Sites in Connecticut
Because Connecticut has only recently launched its iGaming industry, the newest online casinos are the two state-licensed options. There are also new offshore casinos that accept CT players, but we don’t recommend these operators as they haven’t yet shown they’re trustworthy and reliable.
If you do want to play at a newer online casino, try the options below. These have proven themselves over the past few years, and many are brands of established providers that you can trust.
- Red Dog Casino – 2019
- Las Atlantis Casino – 2020
- El Royal – 2020
- Super Slots – 2020
- Rich Palms – 2020
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Connecticut Betting Site
With state-run casinos and offshore options, you might find choosing the best Connecticut betting site overwhelming. Here are the main criteria to consider when comparing sites:
Before registering for a site, read reviews from industry experts and real-world players. You want to ensure the site has incredible games, big bonuses, secure payment methods, and is safe and secure. Reviews are the best way to discover this information in one convenient place.
All Connecticut-based casinos are licensed in the USA, but it’s crucial that you check if offshore sites are approved by overseas governments. This information is usually found in the footer of the website. If in any doubt, our listed casinos have all had the validity of their licenses checked by our experts.
Casino bonuses are a fantastic way to boost your bankroll, increase your screen time, and give you more chances to win. Therefore, you might consider comparing the welcome bonuses and ongoing offers before signing up. Look at the maximum bonus amount, wagering requirements, and game restrictions.
Most US gamblers like wagering from the smartphone—it’s convenient and means you can gamble at anytime from anywhere. Check that the casino is mobile-friendly and test it on your chosen device. All the best casinos and sportsbooks offer the same high-level experiences across the board.
You might want as much game variety as possible when playing at online casinos. If so, look for operators with hundreds of games, ranging from three-reel slots and video poker to live roulette and money wheel games. The bigger the selection, the greater the entertainment value.
Varied bet ranges are just as important as having a diverse selection of games. From penny slots to high-limit tables, the best Connecticut online casinos cater to all budgets. As your bankroll grows, this ensures there are suitable bets on the platform you know and love.
Always check the supported payment methods and that there is an option you’re comfortable using. Some players prefer credit cards, whereas others like cryptocurrencies. You’ll also want to compare transaction fees, payment limits, and the speed of your preferred banking methods.
Connecticut State Revenues from Gambling
Because online casinos and sportsbooks launched in Connecticut only in October 2021, the first full year of online gambling in Connecticut was in 2022. During this year, a massive $9.9 billion was wagered at online casinos. In total, the state received $40.6 million from iCasino gaming alone. In addition, sports wagering taxes brought in $14.5 million during the 2022 calendar year.
The state revenue for 2023 looks equally as promising. Connecticut’s sports betting and iGaming market surpassed more than a $1 billion handle in January 2023―the fifth consecutive month we’ve seen numbers of this magnitude.
Connecticut Lawmakers Involved in Gambling Legislation
- Sen. Catherine Osten proposed LCO 578 in January 2019 to authorize sports betting at the state’s tribal casinos and online. The bill died in the legislature, so Osten co-authored another sports betting bill (SB-21) in 2020. This too failed.
- Rep. Joseph Gresko sponsored HB 5168 in 2020 in a bid to permit tribal operators to launch sportsbooks in-person and online. It too died in the legislature.
- Rep. Brian Smith introduced HB 6451, which legalized online sports wagering, fantasy sports, and online casinos through Connecticut’s two tribal operators in 2021. The bill also permitted the Lottery to launch one online sportsbook in 15 retail locations.
- Gov. Ned Lamont signed HB 6451 into law, legalizing all forms of online gaming and sports wagering in the state. He made the first legal wager in October 2021, betting $50 on the WNBA’s Connecticut Sun to win against the Chicago Sky.
Charitable Gambling in Connecticut
Charitable gambling is legal in Connecticut, with organizations making around $10 million in profit from gambling events annually. However, the laws have changed over the years with respect to the types of events non-profit organizations can use to raise money:
- 1939: Charitable bingo was legalized, the first form of charitable gambling allowed in the state.
- 1955: Gambling laws expanded, legalizing bazaars and raffles for fundraising purposes.
- 1972: Lawmakers legalized charitable “Las Vegas nights” (blackjack, roulette, poker, etc.).
- 2003: Legislation permitting Las Vegas nights was repealed in January
Connecticut charitable gambling legislation has remained almost unchanged since 2003, limiting organizations to bingo, raffles, bazaars, and sealed tickets. As of January 2017, non-profits must be issued a permit before hosting these events.
Connecticut Gambling Taxes
If you are a resident in Connecticut, online casino winnings are taxable and must be reported on your annual tax return. They are taxed at whatever income tax band you fall into if you earn over the minimum gross income threshold. Unfortunately, gambling losses are not typically deductible in Connecticut.
The same applies to winnings from all other forms of gambling, including in-person casinos, sportsbooks, DFS, and pari-mutuel wagering. If you win the state lottery, the Connecticut Lottery is legally obliged to withhold the federal rate income tax (currently 24%).
Banking Methods of Connecticut Gambling Sites
All CT gambling sites support different payment methods, but here are the main four to consider:
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies
As per Connecticut laws, state-regulated casinos and sportsbooks cannot legally offer crypto payments. This is a shame, as crypto payments have several perks:
- Deposit limits start at $5 for Tether.
- Access to generous crypto-exclusive offers.
- Withdrawals are processed in <24 hours.
Thankfully, Bitcoin and other altcoins are available at offshore gambling sites. All our recommended casinos support Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin at a minimum. For the most varied selection of altcoins, head to Wild Casino―they’ve got 18 digital coins available for deposits and payouts.
Credit and Debit Cards
Credit and debit cards are accepted at Connecticut-licensed and offshore sites. They provide highly secure payments because you’re protected by your bank’s security system.
Every top-rated casino on our list accepts Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX. If you want to pay with Discover, Red Dog and Wild Casino take these cards, too. Minimum deposits typically start at around $20 to $25. Fees often apply as well, but Red Dog doesn’t charge for any transactions.
A handful of casinos accept bank transfer deposits, but this payment is mainly a payout-only option. Payment limits for bank wire transfers have high-ceilings, and you can withdraw up to $25,000 in a single transaction. This makes bank transfers perfect for withdrawing massive wins.
Sadly, bank transfers can take several weeks to process, and fees almost always apply. Red Dog is the exception―they process bank transfer withdrawals within five days and don’t charge fees.
You can use eWallets (e.g., PayPal or Skrill) to deposit and withdraw from DraftKings and FanDuel. However, they’re unfortunately not available at offshore casinos.
If you want to deposit and withdraw quickly and without sharing your banking information with the operator, MatchPay is a fantastic alternative. MatchPay is a trading platform where you can exchange credits with other players. It’s available at Ignition Casino and Poker.
What Forms of Gambling Are Available in Connecticut?
- Casinos: Online and in-person casinos run by tribal operators are legal in Connecticut. There are two Native American casinos in the state (Foxwoods and the Mohegan Sun), both of which partnered with online operators to launch legal mobile gaming in 2021.
- Lottery: The lottery is legal in Connecticut and has been since 1971, including the state-run Connecticut Lottery and multi-state draws like Mega Millions and Powerball.You cannot purchase lottery tickets online, only in person at a licensed retailer.
- Sports Betting: Sports betting is legal in Connecticut and has been since HB 6451 was signed into law in 2021. Tribal operators can launch one retail and mobile sportsbook each, while the Connecticut Lottery can launch one online sportsbook and up to 15 retail betting locations.
- Racing: Horse racing is legal in Connecticut for anyone aged 18 and above. This includes betting at live race events, off-track betting (OTB) facilities, and online. However, no horse racetracks are currently operational in the state, limiting you to OTB betting.
- Bingo: Bingo is legal at the state’s two tribal casinos and was the first type of tribal gaming to be authorized in 1986. It is also legal elsewhere in Connecticut but can only be hosted by eligible non-profit organizations for the purpose of fundraising.
Major Jackpot Wins in Connecticut
The Mohegan Sun Casino seems to be the place for hitting big jackpots. There have been several millionaires walking away from the tribal venue after winning huge progressive jackpot prizes. Here are some of the biggest:
- Gabrielle Brin-Martin took home $1.4 million in 2011 on IGT’s Star Wars.
- Jennifer Pendexter won $2.3 million in 2013 on a 100,000,000 Degrees slot machine.
- In 2018, Cindy Montalban won 1.9 million playing the Wizard of Ozpenny slot.
- An unnamed player scored a $3.8 million payout on IGT’s Wheel of Fortunein 2022.
Land-Based Casinos in Connecticut
Foxwoods Resort Casino
Address: 350 Trolly Line Blvd., Ledyard, CT 06338
Foxwoods Casino is one of the two tribal casinos in Connecticut. Owned by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribe, it opened in 1986 as a high-stake bingo parlor and began offering casino games in 1992. After several developments and renovations, the casino is now the second largest in the USA (second to WinStar World Casino in Oklahoma).
Foxwoods Resort boasts four different casino venues, including the luxury Fox Tower. It features 3,500 slots, 22 table game varieties across 250+ tables, and―more recently―an on-site sportsbook. The prestige destination also offers five separate hotels and multiple restaurants and bars.
Mohegan Sun Casino
Address: 1 Mohegan Sun Blvd., Montville, CT 06382
Mohegan Sun Casino is a Native American casino that’s owned by the Mohegan tribe. It opened in 1996 after the tribe received federal recognition and has expanded its offerings over the years to include a 10,000-seat arena, 130,000 square feet of retail shopping, theatres, meeting rooms, a hotel and a casino.
The casino contains more than 4,000 slot machines, a 30-table poker room, and 300+ table games, which include blackjack, craps, roulette, baccarat, and three-card poker. This is spread over 300,000 square feet of luxury gaming space. There is also a FanDuel retail sportsbook that opened in 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is online gambling legal in Connecticut?
Yes, online gambling is legal in Connecticut and has been since 2021. The state has licensed legal online casinos, sportsbooks, daily fantasy sports, and pari-mutuel wagering. You can also access offshore sites without legal repercussions in Connecticut.
What is the legal gambling age in Connecticut?
The minimum age requirement for most types of gambling in Connecticut is 21. This applies to in-person and online casino gambling and sports wagering. For paid fantasy sports and lotteries, the legal gambling age drops to 18 years of age.
When did Connecticut regulate online gambling?
Connecticut legalized online casinos in 2021 after tribal compacts were amended. The bill (HB 6415) also legalized online sports betting, daily fantasy sports, and online poker rooms. The first Connecticut gambling sites launched in October of that year, but online poker is not yet available.
Who regulates online sports betting in Connecticut?
The Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) Gaming Division regulates online sports betting and all other forms of legal gambling in Connecticut. The Division of Special Revenue (DOSR) used to regulate the lottery but merged to become the DCP Gaming Division as more forms of gambling were legalized.
Can I play daily fantasy sports in Connecticut?
Yes, you can play daily fantasy sports in Connecticut. Fantasy sports have been operational in the state since 2009, despite not being explicitly legal. When sports betting was legalized in 2021, DFS operators were also officially legalized and required to obtain licenses.
Can I win real money playing online?
Yes, you can win real money by playing online. You can play online slots, roulette, blackjack, video poker, and many more casino games for real money in Connecticut. You can also enter fantasy sports contests and wager on sporting events.
What is the best online casino in Connecticut?
The best Connecticut online casinos are listed on this page, but our favorite is Café Casino. This is an offshore site that accepts Connecticut players. It has 230+ exciting casino games from developers like RTG and Rival, many secure payment options, and a 250% welcome bonus for all new players.
Are Connecticut betting sites safe?
Yes, Connecticut betting sites are safe. All the casinos listed on this page have been carefully vetted by our experts and promise to be trustworthy and legitimate. They’re licensed by overseas governments, have secure banking methods, and use RNGs for fair game outcomes.
Is DraftKings legal in Connecticut?
Yes, DraftKings is legal in Connecticut. New online gambling laws that passed in 2021 allowed tribal casinos to partner with one online operator. The Mashantucket Pequot Tribe partnered with DraftKings, and the DraftKings Sportsbook & Casino was launched in October 2021.
Is FanDuel legal in Connecticut?
Yes, FanDuel is legal in Connecticut. The Mohegan Tribe chose FanDuel as its online operator and launched FanDuel Sportsbooks in 2021. FanDuel Casino is also available in Connecticut under the Mohegan Sun Online Casino brand.
Is Café Casino legal in Connecticut?
Yes, Café Casino is legal in Connecticut. When online casino gambling was made legal in 2021, the new legislation removed all ambiguity surrounding offshore gambling sites: Online casino gaming is permitted, regardless of where the operator is based.
Is BetUS legal in Connecticut?
Yes, BetUS is legal in Connecticut. HB 6415 legalized online sports betting and iGaming, providing a passage for sites like BetUS to operate in CT. Although not regulated in the United States, the betting site isn’t violating any state laws.
Is Wild Casino legal in Connecticut?
Yes, Wild Casino is legal in Connecticut. The operator has been accepting Connecticut players since its launch in 2017. It was previously operating in a legal “gray area” where it was neither explicitly permitted nor prohibited. After new gambling legislation, Wild Casino is 100% legal.
Is Red Dog Casino legal in Connecticut?
Yes, Red Dog Casino is legal in Connecticut. In 2021, the state legalized online casino gambling. There is nothing in the new legislation that prohibits offshore sites like Red Dog, making the site legal for anyone of the minimum gambling age.
Do games at Connecticut online casinos use an RNG?
Yes, all games at Connecticut online casinos use an RNG. This technology ensures that the game outcomes are fair and that you have a real chance of winning. However, we suggest sticking to our recommended casinos, as not all offshore sites use an RNG or offer fair gaming.