Virginia Online Casinos Sites (2023 Update)
- Virginia has legalized casino gambling for the first time, allowing four land-based casinos to be built in strict locations in Bristol, Norfolk, Danville, and Portsmouth.
- Online casinos and poker rooms were not approved under the new casino legislation, but many offshore online casinos do accept Virginia residents. These offshore sites offer real-money slots, table games, and online poker.
- The best offshore online casinos in Virginia are listed on this page. They offer hundreds of games, accept many secure payment methods, and guarantee big-money bonuses throughout the year.
- Our recommended casinos are safe and secure, but the same cannot be said for all offshore sites. Always check that the casino is licensed and provided by a reputable parent company before registering your account.
- Virginia lawmakers have legalized many other forms of internet gaming, including online sports betting, daily fantasy sports, online lottery sales, and horse race betting.
Top Virginia Online Casinos Reviewed 2023
1. Café Casino
In our opinion, Café Casino is the best real-money online casino in Virginia. The gambling site belongs to Lynton Limited, a well-known name in the industry. They launched Café Casino in 2016 after obtaining a gaming license from the Government of Curacao.
You can enjoy 230+ online casino games on the platform, including video slots, progressive jackpots, table games, and live casino games. All games use an RNG and are developed by world-leading software providers, such as Revolver Gaming, Realtime Gaming, Rival Gaming, and ViG (Visionary iGaming).
As a new player at Café Casino, you can claim a welcome bonus worth up to $2,500. This is a 350% matched bonus that is valid for Bitcoin deposits only. Alternatively, deposits made using credit cards and other cryptocurrencies qualify for a nearly-as-impressive 250% sign-up deal worth up to $1,500.
Because of the high match percentage of both offers, Café Casino is one of the best casinos for recreational players. It also boasts its own VIP program called Café Casino Perks that keeps on giving. Your loyalty points last a lifetime, so even low-rollers can climb to the top tiers.
The low $5 minimum deposit at Café Casino again makes it a perfect option for casual gamers. Meanwhile, high rollers can deposit up to $5,000 at once. Your deposit options include credit cards and cryptocurrencies, while courier checks and wire transfers are also available for withdrawals.
2. BetUS Casino
BetUS is another of our top-rated Virginia online casinos. There is also a sportsbook on the gaming platform, making it a fantastic option for anyone interested in both types of betting. The Curacao-licensed site has been around since 1994, making BetUS one of the best-established casinos on the web.
During three decades in operation, BetUS has partnered with many top game providers. There are now over 480 different games and slots in total, including popular releases from the likes of Nucleus, BetSoft, and DGS. The full complement of games includes online slots, table games, and video poker. There is also a live casino featuring the best HD experience.
To get started, register for a BetUS account and claim their 150% welcome bonus. The deal is eligible for deposits up to $3,000. Plus, the wagering requirement is 30x, certainly one of the more reasonable deals around. Alternatively, you can make your first deposit at BetUS using cryptocurrency. The exclusive crypto deal is worth 250% up to $5,000.
BetUS offers other combined welcome bonuses that cover sports betting too. For instance, their 125% sign-up bonus gives you 100% for sports betting and 25% for casino gambling. In addition, you can get access to plenty of reload bonuses and regular deals as a loyal BetUS customer.
The minimum deposit at BetUS is $10: available banking options include credit cards, wire transfers, and cryptocurrencies. Plus, BetUS is one of the few places in Virginia where you can gamble online with Google Pay or Apple Pay deposits. Cryptocurrency is the sole option when it comes to making withdrawals.
3. Las Atlantis
Another of the best online casinos in Virginia is Las Atlantis. This new online casino entered the market in 2020, and it has a modern platform with incredible mobile capabilities. It’s owned by a reputable company called ArbathSolutions IO and is licensed by Curacao eGaming.
Most of the casino games at Las Atlantis are slots, with 200 titles supplied by Realtime Gaming. Slots cover all themes, denominations, and styles, from classic games to some of the newest online video slots. The table game offering isn’t quite as good, however: there is a smattering of video poker games, as well as blackjack and roulette. A live casino rounds out the game selection.
Although the game variety at Las Atlantis is good, the welcome bonus stands out. The casino offers new players a massive $14,000 sign-up promotion. This is split into five bonuses, each worth up to $2,800, and matched 250%. The wagering requirement is 35x on all deposits.
In addition, Las Atlantis is one of the only VA casinos offering a no-deposit bonus that lets you play real-money games for free. You can choose between $40 in casino credits for us on online slots, or $25 for other games. Claiming the no-deposit offer at Las Atlantis is straightforward: just open your new account and request the bonus cash via the live chat window.
Las Atlantis offers multiple secure payment methods once you are ready to fund your account. Accepted banking options include Visa, Mastercard, Bitcoin, and Litecoin. There is a minimum deposit of $20 across most deposit options. Watch out for the minimum withdrawal limit, however: the $150 lower limit may sting for the casual gamblers among you.
How to Sign Up with the Best Virginia Online Casino
1. Go to the Website and Create an Online Gambling Account
Go to the Café Casino website on your chosen desktop or mobile device, then click “Join.” Complete the registration form by providing your name, date of birth, and other personal details. Make sure you set a username and password, agree to the T&Cs, and hit the “Confirm” button to finalize the set-up process.
2. Deposit Funds and Enter Promo Code
Open the cashier and choose your banking method to make a payment. We recommend using Bitcoin to make your deposit eligible for the casino’s biggest bonus. Enter the amount you want to deposit, follow the payment instructions, and choose your preferred bonus.
3. Choose a Game and Play for Real Money
All deposits and bonuses at Café Casino are credited to your account immediately. All that’s left is to head to the casino lobby and choose a game to play. You can access 230+ online slots and table games, all of which are available to play for real money.
Virginia Online Gambling Laws – Is it Legal?
The Virginia gaming industry has expanded in recent years, allowing for several types of online gambling. Under current VA laws, legal gambling options include:
- Pari-mutuel betting on horse racing
- Daily fantasy sports
- Play lottery games
- Scratch card games
- Online sports betting
Unfortunately, no regulated and licensed online casinos or poker rooms exist in Virginia. However, you can access the best Virginia online casinos offshore. US-friendly offshore casinos are oftentimes quite happy to accept gamblers from Virginia.
Under Virginia law, playing at an international casino could be classed as a misdemeanor. However, the law is ambiguous, and many experts believe it doesn’t apply to internet gaming. Indeed, no one from Virginia has ever been prosecuted for playing at offshore iGaming sites.
Is Gambling at Offshore Casinos Safe?
Gambling at offshore casino sites can be risky. These sites aren’t regulated in the US, and it’s easy for rogue casinos to steal sensitive information or refuse to pay out bonuses and slot wins.
Fortunately, safe real-money online casinos do exist offshore. You can play casino games online at trustworthy sites from our preferred casino partners. Here’s how we seek out approved casinos for our readers:
- Casinos must hold licenses from recognized gaming authorities, such as Curacao, Panama, and Malta
- They must use SSL encryption technology to protect banking information
- They only allow secure payment methods from trusted providers
- They boast stringent KYC policies to protect against fraud
- They implement RNG technology to ensure game outcomes are fair
- Gambling sites have RNGs audited by external testing labs like eCOGRA
When Will Virginia Legalize Online Gambling?
Virginia has a long way to go until it makes online casinos legal. The state has historically been one of the few jurisdictions to prohibit casino gambling, including at land-based establishments. However, the industry has been moving in the right direction.
The Virginia General Assembly held a vote in November 2020, allowing cities to decide whether to license local casinos. Four out of five towns approved the ballot, opening the way for legal casinos in Virginia for the first time. Moreover, the legalization of Virginia sports betting in 2020 marked the first form of regulated online gaming in the state.
Virginia Online Gambling Legislation Timeline
Traditionally, Virginia is a conservative state, but the online gambling industry has expanded in recent years. Let’s look at the key milestones that have shaped the current legal landscape in the state:
- 1973: Virginia lawmakers legalize charitable gambling. This is the first form of gambling to be allowed in VA and includes charity bingo and raffles.
- 1987: The Virginia state lottery is created. The first state lottery tickets go on sale the following year and can only be purchased from licensed retailers.
- 1989: Voters approve pari-mutuel horse race betting, and advanced deposit wagering is legalized. The Virginia Racing Commission is formed a year later in 1990. Off-track betting locations are also made legal.
- 2018: Online lottery ticket sales are permitted via the official VA Lottery app. To complete a purchase, ticket buyers must be connected via a Lottery retailer Bluetooth connection.
- 2019: The VA General Assembly agrees to authorize a vote on whether or not to bring casinos in five “economically challenged cities” in the state. If approved by voters, each city can build one commercial casino property.
- 2020: VA General Assembly legalizes iLottery and sports betting. The vote for casinos is put forward— four of the five cities approve the construction of new casino properties. However, Richmond residents reject their casino.
- 2021: The Virginia Lottery Board awards licenses to several top US sportsbooks, including FanDuel, DraftKings, and BetRivers. Virginia online sports betting goes live in January 2021.
- 2022: The temporary Hard Rock Casino Bristol opens in July, offering table games and retail sports betting. Other casino licenses are awarded for new casinos in Portsmouth, Norfolk, and Danville.
- 2023: Rivers Casino in Portsmouth opens its doors, making it Virginia’s first full-service permanent casino. Caesars opens a temporary casino in Danville at the same time.
- 2024: The three remaining permanent casinos in Virginia, located in Bristol, Norfolk, and Danville, are scheduled to be completed.
Virginia Tribal Partnerships
The state has entered into gaming compacts with three federally-recognized tribes. However, none of the casino properties in Virginia are classed as Indian gaming establishments; they’re all marketed as commercial casinos. These tribally-owned properties are:
- Hard Rock Casino & Hotel – The Bristol casino resort is owned by Hard Rock International, which belongs to the Seminole Tribe of Florida.
- Rivers Casino Portsmouth – Rivers Casino opened in early 2023 with Rush Street Interactive and the Pamunkey Indian Tribe sealing a partnership deal.
- Caesars Casino Virginia – The Danville property is due to open in 2024. It is owned through a partnership between Caesars Entertainment and the Eastern Bank of Cherokee Indians, based in North Carolina.
- HeadWaters Resort & Casino – Due to be built on the Elizabeth River by the Pamunkey Indian Tribe of Virginia. It’s set to open in 2024.
State-Licensed Gambling Sites in Virginia
Without a regulated online casino industry, you won’t find any VA-regulated online casinos or poker rooms. However, the state is home to 16 licensed online sportsbooks following the relaxation of Virginia gambling laws:
- FanDuel Sportsbook – January 21, 2021
- DraftKings Sportsbook – January 24, 2021
- BetRivers – January 27, 2021
- BetMGM – January 27, 2021
- Caesars Sportsbook – February 03, 2021
- WynnBet – March 11, 2021
- Unibet Sportsbook – April 28, 2021
- Barstool Sportsbook – August 10, 2021
- Golden Nugget – October 13, 2021
- Bally Bet – November 24, 2021
- PointBet – December 15, 2021
- Hard Rock Sportsbook – March 31, 2022
- SI Sportsbook – May 09, 2022
- Betway – May 18, 2022
- Bet365 – January 31, 2023
- BetFred Sports – February 01, 2023
Virginia Online Casino Promotions
Online casinos run massive promotions to attract new players and retain existing ones. Here is a look at the main casino bonuses you’ll find online in Virginia.
Deposit Match Bonuses
Deposit bonuses are the most common type of welcome offer. The casino operator matches your deposit by a certain percentage up to a maximum amount. The higher the bonus ceiling, the more money you can claim, and the bigger the match percentage, the better your return on investment.
For example, Las Atlantis Casino currently offers one of the biggest deposit match bonuses in Virginia. They offer a mega deal worth 280% up to $2,800, which is valid on your first five deposits. The total bonus funds available to claim is $14,000. Because of the high match percentage, you only need to deposit $1,000 per deposit to claim the full bonus amount.
Many VA online casinos offer special bonuses if you make a deposit with cryptocurrency. Some online casinos in Virginia specify which cryptocurrency you need to use to be eligible, such as Bitcoin or Ethereum. However, other casino bonuses allow payments using any digital currency of your choice.
Whether you’re an experienced crypto trader or just a firm HODLer, cryptocurrency bonuses are well worth checking out. The deposit match percentages are oftentimes larger than those found on regular fiat currencies.
For example, you can claim a welcome bonus worth 250% up to $1,500 at Café Casino when using credit cards or bank transfers in US dollars. However, that deal jumps to 350% up to $2,500 if you deposit using Bitcoin. That’s 100% up to $1,000 extra just for depositing with the biggest cryptocurrency in town.
No-deposit bonuses are the only promotion you can claim without making any upfront financial investment. Generally, they’re much smaller than regular deposit bonuses that require funds to be transferred first. However, they do provide an opportunity to test a Virginia online casino for free while you try to win real cash.
Unfortunately, no-deposit bonuses are rare in the online casino industry, but we’ve managed to source one at Las Atlantis. After creating your account, message the customer support agents via live chat to claim $40 for slot play or $25 for all other casino games.
Reload bonuses are promotions on future deposits that online casinos use to encourage player loyalty. They’re usually matched deposit bonuses but may also integrate free spins on new slot releases. BetUS runs numerous reload bonuses that can be claimed every week, such as:
- 150% slots bonus every Tuesday
- 10% boost on cryptocurrency deposits every Thursday
- 75% bonus + 15 free spins every Saturday
VIP programs are used by online casinos to maintain player loyalty. You earn points as you spend in the casino. You can then exchange points for various perks, including cash, bonuses, and other rewards.
Café Casino currently offers one of the best online loyalty programs in Virginia. Through their Café Casino Perks scheme, you earn Perk Points that you then redeem for cash bonuses. It’s a tiered scheme, with the players that spend the most getting access to better points redemption rates.
Mobile Gambling Apps in Virginia
The best online casinos in Virginia are compatible with mobiles and tablets, offering effortless gambling from anywhere in The Old Dominion. Check the options below for your device.
- Android Mobile Gambling: Android users can access a good mobile casino through their chosen smartphone browser. Modern sites are built on HTML5 technology, which means you can simply play slots and table games through a web browser. There’s no need to download an app from Google Play to access online casino games, either.
- iOS Mobile Gambling: Playing casino games from your iPhone or iPad can be done directly through Safari or Google Chrome. You don’t need to download an iOS casino app from the App Store—you can play games, claim bonuses, and make withdrawals through your preferred browser.
Advantages of Offshore Gambling Sites
Offshore online casinos run massive welcome bonuses, such as Las Atlantis’ lucrative $14,000 sign-up promotion. Even if Virginia online casinos were legalized, you wouldn’t find bonuses of this magnitude. Offers this size are only available at internationally licensed casinos.
Variety of Casino Games
The best offshore casinos rely on multiple world-leading game developers to power their libraries. The top gambling sites give you access to hundreds of online slot machines, table games, and video poker games. You can even play live dealer games against a human croupier via webcam.
Below are some of the big names you’ll see powering our recommended casinos:
- RTG (Realtime Gaming)
- Revolver Gaming
- Concept Gaming
- Woohoo Games
- Dragon Gaming
- Bovada Gaming
- 3 Oaks Gaming
- Amatic Industries
- Authentic Gaming
- Visionary iGaming (ViG)
Cryptocurrency has many advantages over traditional fiat payment methods that use US dollars. They’re incredibly secure and transparent as they’re processed through the blockchain. Fees are generally waived by the casinos too, though you may have to pay crypto exchange fees when you move cash over the internet. Due to current regulations, cryptocurrency is not a valid payment option at US-licensed casinos. These payment options are generally reserved for offshore casinos.
All winnings must be reported to the state when gambling at state-licensed casinos. This is not a requirement at offshore casinos, however. That ensures you have more say in your own tax affairs, gambling spend, and winnings. Pseudonymous payment options like cryptocurrencies improve your privacy even further.
What Games Can I Play at Virginia Online Casinos?
Our recommended online casinos all offer hundreds of games, covering slots, roulette, video poker, and live casino. That’s enough to provide weeks of gambling entertainment throughout the year.
Slots are the most popular casino games online, largely due to their variety. Games come in a variety of themes and layouts to suit all tastes. You can also find slots in various denominations to suit all budgets—from penny slots to high-limit progressive jackpot slots. Hit it lucky and you could win a multi-million-dollar prize.
Our experts have chosen their top three Virginia casinos for their epic slot portfolios. Café Casino offers 160 slots, Las Atlantis has 200 games, and BetUS has 350 unique titles. TOnline slots come from top developers like Betsoft, DGS, and Nucleus, guaranteeing high-quality gameplay every time.
Not to be confused with online poker, video poker replicates the types of machines you’ll find at the best Vegas and AC casinos. Games are loosely based on 5-card Draw where you must make the best poker hand possible following one discard. Popular video poker variants include Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild, and Double Double Bonus, all of which are available at our top-rated casinos.
BetUS has the most choice, with 24 video poker games. Las Atlantis has 14, meanwhile, and Café Casino offers a respectable eight variations from RTG and Rival.
As the most popular table game, blackjack is available at all online casinos in Virginia. Las Atlantis only has two varieties to choose from: Blackjack HD and Blackjack Early Payout. However, Café Casino has a much more impressive eight blackjack games, including Perfect Pairs and Zappit Blackjack.
For even more variety, open an account with BetUS. The casino offers 32 blackjack games, many of which are online exclusives that you won’t find at land-based casinos in Virginia or neighboring states.
Roulette is another popular table game that you can play at our top Virginia online casinos. Las Atlantis offers a single game of European Roulette by RTG, while Café Casino and BetUS have a little more variety. They have four and five roulette variations, respectively, including Zoom Roulette and American Roulette, as well as high-limit tables.
Blackjack and roulette are the most popular table games at online casinos, but they’re not the only ones. You can try a few US favorites too, such as baccarat, craps, Casino War, and Caribbean Stud at a range of stakes.
The exact selection of titles varies dramatically between sites. For example, BetUS has the most extensive selection, including 27 “other” table games. However, Las Atlantis has none of these games, choosing instead to keep with classics like blackjack and roulette.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games have been popular at online casinos for the past few years. You play casino games in real-time as footage of professional dealers is streamed live to your device. Place bets on your mobile phone or laptop as you watch real-life dealers do their stuff on actual tables and wheels. Live dealer casino games offer the most authentic online experience and even comprise a social element that regular RNG games lack.
All our recommendations have live casinos where you can discover live blackjack, roulette, baccarat, and Super 6 games. Our recommended casinos employ Visionary iGaming (ViG) to provide live dealer games, one of the leading live software developers operating in the offshore casino market. You’re guaranteed professional croupiers and high-quality streaming across all devices when you play.
Bingo is a less popular form of online casino gaming that you’ll find at some offshore sites. Café Casino is your best option for playing bingo. You can enjoy six bingo games and one game of Keno. We recommend Pesca Bingo too, a fun fish-themed game popular among bingo lovers.
New Online Casino Sites in Virginia
New casino sites frequently enter the market as the online gambling industry expands. We sometimes advise against registering for a brand-new casino—we prioritize trust and reliability, and new casinos may not have had time to develop a reputation.
The exception is if a new casino is the sister to an existing site, or it belongs to a highly regarded parent company. With this in mind, here are the best options if you’re looking for a new gambling site:
- Las Atlantis Casino – Launched 2020
- El Royale – Launched 2020
- Rich Palms – Launched 2020
- Red Dog Casino – Launched 2019
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Virginia Betting Site
To guarantee the best experience possible, we recommend using one of the top-rated sites listed on this page. If you do choose to shop around, make sure you compare these features:
- Reviews: Read reviews from industry experts and real-world players before registering for a casino. This provides insight and highlights issues other players may have experienced. Our online casino reviews are the perfect place to begin your research.
- Licensing: Although Virginia doesn’t regulate online casinos itself, reputable operators should still be licensed. Offshore casinos are licensed overseas by gaming authorities in jurisdictions such as Curacao and Panama. You can find the licensing information in the footer at trusted real-money casinos.
- Promotions: Joining online casinos with the biggest bonuses is a brilliant way to increase your returns. However, always read the promotional terms when comparing offers. On paper, even massive offers can be unfavorable if they have high wagering requirements or heavy restrictions.
- Accessibility: You should be able to access the best online casinos across all computers, mobiles, and tablets. Check that you can play games, claim bonuses, and make payments on the go. Most modern sites are built on HTML5 technology, meaning they function on all devices without the need for an app.
- Game Variety: Casinos offering hundreds of games provide more fun than those with limited portfolios. Look for sites with online slots, progressive jackpots, video poker games, blackjack, roulette, and specialty games. For an authentic gambling experience, a live casino is also essential.
- Min/Max Bets: Every game at an online casino has a minimum and maximum bet. Check that the game denominations available match your budget. Low-rollers will want access to the best penny slots, whereas big spenders should seek out high-limit table games.
- Banking Options: The best real-money casino apps offer plenty of trusted banking options, such as credit cards and cryptocurrencies. It’s also crucial to compare payment terms: the most reputable operators won’t charge for making a transaction. Plus, any casino worth its salt should guarantee fast withdrawals every time.
Virginia State Revenues from Gambling
The Virginia casino industry is still in its infancy, with most permanent land-based casinos still under construction or about to bring in bulldozers. Therefore, the current economic impact of VA gambling has yet to be reported. However, the gambling tax rate on casino revenue is as follows:
- 18% on revenues of <$200 million
- 23% on revenues between $200 million and $400 million
- 30% on revenues of >$400 million
Virginia Lawmakers Involved in Gambling Legislation
- Sen. Jeremy McPike – Proposed SB 384 that legalized Virginia sportsbooks. McPike also introduced SB 1254 in 2021 to iron out rules for the newly-regulated industry.
- Del. Mark Sickles – Sponsor of HB 896, which legalized sports betting. Also, introduced HB 1847 into the chamber in 2021 to clarify details in the new sports betting legislation.
- Sen. Louisa Lucas – Sponsor of SB 1126 in 2019. The passing of the bill allowed for a local referendum on casinos in “economically deprived” cities in Virginia.
- Gov. Ralph Northam – Signed SB 384 and HB 896 into law, legalizing online sports betting. Also, approved SB 1126, authorizing casinos in Bristol, Portsmouth, Norfolk, and Danville.
- Sen. Monty Mason – Introduced SB 576, which would legalize betting on college sports in Virginia. The bill is jointly sponsored by Sen. Todd Pillon.
- Gov. Glenn Youngkin – Approved a bill that established the Problem Gambling Treatment and Support Advisory Committee within the VA state government.
Charitable Gambling in Virginia
Charitable gambling has been allowed in Virginia since 1973. Permitted charitable games include bingo, pull-tabs, raffles, and poker nights. Electronic games (such as electronic bingo) are allowed, but charities must first receive a permit that authorizes the conduct of electronic gaming.
To legally participate in a charity gaming event, you must be at least 18 years of age. The minimum age requirement increases to 21+ for gaming on electronic devices.
Virginia Gambling Taxes
All gambling winnings for Virginia residents and visitors are subject to a 24% federal tax. Virginia also imposes a state tax on gambling winnings. The taxation rates are dependent on your overall annual income as follows:
- <$3,000 = 2%
- $3,001 to $5,000 = $60 + 3% on income over $3,000
- $5,001 to $17,000 = $120 + 5% on income over $5,000
- >$17,001 = $720 + 5.75% on income over $17,000
Banking Methods of Virginia Gambling Sites
The best Virginia casino sites offer a variety of secure and reliable payment methods. You can take advantage of easy payments via cryptocurrency, bank cards, or wire transfers. Here are some of the most reliable deposit options in the state.
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are our preferred way to fund your online gambling habits. Crypto deposits have a low minimum threshold and no fees, other than exchange charges and gas fees. In addition, withdrawals are normally fast when you use cryptocurrency (24 hours or less) and are normally free. As cryptocurrencies are processed on the blockchain, they’re also secure and have a high approval rate.
Credit and Debit Cards
Virginia’s best credit card casinos accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and Discover, and normally process your deposits instantly. Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks to using a card: you can usually only use bank cards for depositing, most operators charge fees on credit cards (up to 15.9%), and US banks often block charges to gambling sites due to complex laws.
Bank transfers are perfect for transferring large amounts at once to your favorite online casinos. Transfers are highly secure as they are protected by your bank’s security systems. Plus, you can process up to $25,000 in a single transaction at the best online casinos. Watch out for long withdrawal times, however: some VA online casinos take up to 15 business days to process bank withdrawals.
Popular e-Wallets like PayPal and Skrill are available at offshore casino sites, but sadly not for American players. This is normally down to the policies of the payment providers, who refuse to support gambling payments in US states without a regulated industry.
A brilliant alternative is MatchPay, which is available at Café Casino. It works a little like a peer-to-peer digital wallet that allows you to move cash in and out of your casino account without using a card.
What Forms of Gambling Are Available in Virginia?
- Casinos: Land-based casino gambling has recently been legalized in Virginia in four cities: Bristol, Portsmouth, Norfolk, and Danville. Online casinos are still unregulated, but you can access many offshore online gambling sites from within the state.
- Lottery: You can buy lottery tickets for the state lottery, multi-state games (Powerball, MegaMillions, Cash4Life, etc.), and scratch card games. These are available from licensed retailers or at the VA Lottery app for people age 18+.
- Sports Betting: The VA sports betting industry is now live and open to people aged 21 or over in the state. It is a predominantly online industry, with 16 sportsbook apps active in Virginia. Retail sportsbooks are also available, taking bets on everything from football to soccer.
- Racing: Horse race betting is available in Virginia. You can bet on live racing events at the Colonial Downs or simulcast races at OTB locations. Online horse betting is also available at VA sportsbooks or racebooks. Greyhound racing is prohibited, however.
- Bingo: Bingo is available in Virginia as a form of charitable gambling. Both paper and electronic bingo games are permitted under current gambling legislation. You must be 18 or over to play paper bingo games, or 21+ to enjoy electronic bingo games.
Major Jackpot Wins in Virginia
Virginia’s casino industry has only recently launched, and there have yet to be any life-changing jackpot wins. All four permanent casino properties are set to open in 2024, so expect the number of winners to increase once the industry gets into full swing.
Land-Based Casinos in Virginia
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
Address: 500 Gate City Hwy, Bristol, VA 24201, USA
The Hard Rock Casino was the first land-based casino to come to Virginia. Its temporary casino opened in 2022, and it’s home to 870 slot machines, as well as table games like blackjack, baccarat, and roulette. The permanent property – costing $500 million to build – will open in 2024 and will feature 2,700 slots, 100 table games, and an on-site sportsbook.
Caesars Casino Virginia
Address: 1100 W Main St, Danville, VA 24541, USA
Caesars opened a temporary casino in Danville in 2022. The permanent casino is still under construction and will open in 2024. The property plans include a world-class gaming floor playing home to 1,300+ slots, 85 live table games, 24 electronic table games, a live poker room, and a sportsbook. Caesars is also building a 500-room luxury hotel on the site.
Rivers Casino Portsmouth
Address: 3630 Victory Blvd, Portsmouth, VA 23701, USA
Minutes from downtown Portsmouth, Rivers Casino is the first full-service casino to open in Virginia in January 2023. The site features over 1,400 slot games and a selection of the best table games, such as blackjack, baccarat, three-card poker, roulette, and craps. You can also grab a seat in the casino’s live poker room or bet on sports in the all-new BetRivers Sportsbook.
HeadWaters Resort & Casino
With a waterfront location, the $500 million HeadWaters Casino in Norfolk is being built on the banks of the Elizabeth River, adjacent to Harbor Park. Like the other casinos in Virginia, the new property is due for completion in 2024. Plans for the casino include 3,000 slot machines, 150 table games, and a 300-room boutique hotel spread across 13.4 acres.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is online gambling legal in Virginia?
Yes, some online gambling is legal in Virginia. The state passed a DFS law in 2016, making this the first type of regulated iGaming in VA. In 2020, online sports betting was also legalized. Online casinos and poker remain unregulated, but offshore sites do operate in a legal “gray area.”
What is the legal gambling age in Virginia?
The legal gambling age in Virginia is 21 for sports betting and casino gambling. This applies both to in-person and online betting. Meanwhile, a minimum legal age of 18+ applies to pari-mutuel wagering, lottery games, scratch cards, paid fantasy sports, and charitable gambling.
When did Virginia regulate online gambling?
Virginia regulated online sports betting in March 2020, and the first legal sports bets were taken in January 2021. Unfortunately, the state has yet to regulate online casino gambling and poker. Currently, offshore casinos are your only option for playing slots and table games online for real money.
Who regulates online sports betting in Virginia?
The Virginia Lottery regulates online sports betting in Virginia. As the regulator, the lottery corporation is responsible for licensing, auditing, and compliance of all state-licensed sportsbooks. The VA Lottery also oversees gambling at land-based casinos in the state.
Can I play daily fantasy sports in Virginia?
Yes, you can play Daily Fantasy Sports in Virginia. State lawmakers passed the Fantasy Sports Act in 2016, making DFS legal and regulating operations in the state. Several DFS operators are currently available in Virginia, including DraftKings and FanDuel.
Can I win real money playing online?
Yes, you can win real money playing online in Virginia. Our top-rated real-money casinos offer hundreds of games that give the potential to win real cash prizes relative to your stakes. You can maximize your winning even further by leveraging casino bonuses and learning tips for each casino game.
What is the best online casino in Virginia?
According to our experts, the best online casino in Virginia currently is Café Casino. This offshore online casino licensed in Curacao has been accepting US players since 2016. You can enjoy 230+ casino games on the platform and claim a welcome bonus worth up to $2,500.
Are Virginia betting sites safe?
Yes, Virginia betting sites are safe to play at. VA-regulated online sportsbooks and DFS sites are overseen by the Virginia Lottery and are only permitted to serve the state if they offer fair and legit gaming. Offshore online casinos are riskier, but all those listed on this page are safe and trusted.
Is DraftKings legal in Virginia?
Yes, DraftKings is legal in Virginia. Anyone age 18 or over can enter fantasy sports contests on DraftKings DFS, whereas players age 21+ also have access to the DraftKings Sportsbook. As the state has yet to legalize online casinos, DraftKings Casino is unavailable in The Old Dominion.
Do games at Virginia casinos use an RNG?
Yes, all games at our recommended Virginia casinos use an RNG to determine the outcomes of slots and table games. This technology ensures that the games are fair on every spin. The exceptions are live dealer games, which are played with live croupiers and real equipment.