Updated July 24th, 2020
(Editor’s note: The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas closed in February 2020. The new hotel is being remodeled and re-branded as the very wordy “Mohegan Sun Casino at Virgin Hotels Las Vegas.” It’s still on track to re-open later this year. We don’t know if there will still be a free shuttle, but we’ll update this article once more information about the hotel and shuttle become available).
You do this by going along E. Harmon Avenue (the road on the south side of the resort), in a straight line for just about a mile even. On the way there are some nice hotels, (The Wyndam Grand Desert, the north side of the Signature at MGM Grand), some apartments, vacant lots, the back of Top Golf, and even a medical center.
Distance to Las Vegas Boulevard
To be more exact, it is precisely 1.2 miles from the doors of the Virgin Hotels LV to the intersection of Harmon Boulevard and the Las Vegas Strip. Google maps says it would take you 26 minutes to walk.
Is it safe? That’s hard to say, because this is Las Vegas, and you never know what some drugged, or drunken crazed idiot is up to. Personally, I would not walk it. I wouldn’t walk it in the day, or night. Not for security reasons, but because it’s Las Vegas.
Do you really want to spend an hour (round trip) just walking to and from your destination? Walking for miles up and down the Strip is one thing, where there is interesting scenery, architecture, and daiquiri bars. But a walk along Harmon Road is nothing compared to the excitement and buzz of Las Vegas Boulevard.
In addition, after you get done walking the 1.2 miles to the Strip, you’ll still have plenty of walking to do up and down the Strip and in the casinos you visit.
(Here’s a Map of the walking route to the strip, where “A” is the Virgin Hotels LV, and “B” is the Strip.)
Virgin Hotels Las Vegas Address & Website
Las Vegas, NV. 89169
Website: Virgin Hotels Las Vegas
Virgin Hotels Las Vegas Casino Free Shuttle to the Strip
As a convenience to guests, the former Hard Rock offered a free shuttle from the resort to the Las Vegas Strip. I say “free” but I suppose you could say you’ve already paid for it as part of one of those annoying “resort fees” that are common in Las Vegas.
You would get on the free strip shuttle inside the self park parking garage, on the west side of the resort, right in front of Harmon Drive at the entrance to the HRH Tower.
The shuttles left the Hard Rock every hour, on the hour, from 10 AM to 5 PM, seven days a week.
We are not sure if there will be a shuttle once the Virgin Hotels opens up but we will update this article once more information becomes available.
They didn’t make stops along the Strip, rather, they made one stop, at the North end of the Fashion Show Mall, which is on the North End of the Strip, across from the Wynn and Palazzo.
To ride back, you would get back on at the same place. Shuttles from there left at 15 minutes past the hour, every hour, from 10:15 AM to 5:15 PM.
Having stayed at the Hard Rock, I can tell you this shuttle got crowded. If I recall, the shuttle can only hold 25 people or so, so one would have to get there early and reserve your place in line. When we were there, there were several folks who had to either wait for the next one, or take an Uber/Lyft or taxi.
Because of the short distance, an Uber or Lyft ride to the Strip is very affordable when starting off from the Virgin Hotels.
Notes about the Virgin Hotels Las Vegas
* In a departure from the loud, dark, in-your-face blaring rock theme the Hard Rock resorts are known for, the design of the new Virgin Hotels Las Vegas will be (as they call it), “modern desert cool.”
* The remodeled hotel will feature 1,504 rooms – or as they call them, “chambers.”
* Of these 1,504 chambers, there are 323 executive suites, and 79 luxury suites. The luxury suites range in size from 900 square feet up to 5,000 square feet!
* The resort’s lineup of 12 restaurant and bar venues will include the Commons Club (a restaurant and bar), a new Todd English restaurant, and the Shag Room (an intimate cocktail bar).
* The former Hard Rock’s popular 3,500 seat concert hall, “The Joint” will remain.
* While there will no longer be the famous (or infamouos) “Rehab” pool scene, Virgin Hotels is “rehabbing” the lush and popular 5 acre pool area with what they call, “a new vibrant, one-of-a kind pool/bar scene.”
* The hotel is part of what’s called the Curio Collection by Hilton.
* Convention and meeting space here totals 130,000 square feet.
* Virgin Hotels Las Vegas will be the first Indian casino in Las Vegas. Sort of. The 60,000 square foot casino portion of the resort will be operated by veteran gaming operator Moghegan Gaming & Entertainment.
The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas
* The original hotel casino here, the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, opened in 1995 as a boutique hotel – a rarity at the time. The opening created quite the buzz, with numerous celebrities attending the grand opening, which was broadcast on MTV.
* Sitting on 30 acres, the resort (expanded over the years) consisted of three towers, 4 bars, 11 restaurants, a very popular 4.8 acre pool complex, and 1,500 rooms. The resort also boasted 110,000 square feet of meeting space, along with 65,000 square feet of gaming space.
(By Steve Beauregard. Photos courtesy of Virgin Hotels Las Vegas Press Kit)