California Online Gambling Sites (2023 Update)
- The only legal forms of online gambling in California are DFS and pari-mutuel betting. Online casinos are not regulated nor are online sportsbooks or poker rooms.
- Offshore gambling sites readily accept Californians and are currently your best option for real money wagering online. No one has ever been prosecuted for playing at these sites as they fall into a legal “gray area.”
- The best offshore casinos are listed on this page. They have been approved by our experts, and all have valid licenses, hundreds of thrilling games, and massive bonuses.
- Scam sites do exist online. When choosing your own offshore casino, always read player reviews and check that the operator is licensed in a foreign jurisdiction before registering.
- It is unlikely that California lawmakers will legalize online casinos any time soon. There is a slither of hope for legal sports betting in the Golden State in 2023, but all previous attempts have swiftly died in a vote.
Top California Online Casinos Reviewed 2023
1. Café Casino
Café Casino is one of the best online casinos in California. The site was launched in 2016 with a gambling license from the Government of Curacao and has been popular among US players ever since. It features 230 games, which include slots, blackjack, roulette, and video poker.
Many of these exciting titles are from leading software developers like RealTime Gaming (RTG) and Rival. Café Casino also produces some games in-house, giving you access to a unique selection of titles you cannot play elsewhere. All are subject to a tried-and-tested random number generator (RNG), guaranteeing that you have a real chance of winning.
If you register for a new account, you can claim a $1,500 welcome bonus at Café Casino. This promotion is a 250% match on your first deposit, so you only need to fund your account with $600 to claim the maximum. To receive even more bonus credits, make your first deposit with Bitcoin. The percentage match is increased to 350%, and the bonus cap is $2,500.
Bitcoin isn’t the only cryptocurrency supported at Café Casino; you can use Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Tether. Deposits start at $5 and are credited to your casino account instantly. All major US credit cards are also available for deposits, and bank wire, courier check, and crypto are your payout options.
Many of you may already have heard about BetUS. This popular gambling site was established in 1994 and is one of the oldest and most trusted providers on the internet. It holds a license from the Government of Curacao and has proven itself time and time again over its three-decade-long history.
Over the years, BetUS has grown its offerings substantially. It currently has 480+ real money casino games from big names like Betsoft and Nucleus and a comprehensive sportsbook on its platform. This makes BetUS a fantastic choice if you’re interested in all types of online gambling, as you can effortlessly flick between games.
BetUS also has a selection of welcome bonuses from which to choose. The best promotion depends on your interests, but we recommend their 150% match up to $3,000 casino bonus. Like Café Casino, you can also claim a boosted bonus when funding your account with crypto, where the offer increases to a 250% match up to $5,000.
Several cryptocurrencies are available at BetUS, including Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and Ethereum. The operator also accepts credit cards and supports digital wallets like Google Pay and Apple Pay. The latter is a fantastic option if you are a mobile bettor, and the BetUS mobile site provides the same high-level experience as its desktop counterpart.
3. Wild Casino
Established in 2017, Wild Casino is another of the best online casinos in California. The brand belongs to the same individuals that operate the reputable US casino, BetOnline. It’s licensed by the Pamama Gaming Commission, proving it’s a legitimate site that you can trust.
There are a whopping 550 games in Wild Casino’s portfolio. All are developed by BetSoft or Nucelus, two big industry names known for their high-quality graphics and innovative titles. Over 350 of these games are online slots, while the remaining titles include video poker, blackjack, and roulette. There are also eight live casino games and 43 live slots.
Another factor that makes Wild Casino stand out is its payment methods. It accepts Bitcoin and 18 other altcoins, making it a perfect choice for crypto players. If you prefer traditional payment methods, don’t worry – Wild Casino also accepts all major US cards (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, and Discover), eChecks, and bank wire transfers.
Register for Wild Casino, and you’re eligible for their massive $5,000 welcome bonus across your first five deposits (5x $1,000). Alternatively, you can deposit with crypto and get up to $9,000. This is broken down as a $3,000 bonus on your first deposit and $1,500 on your subsequent four.
How to Sign Up with the Best California Online Casino
1. Go to Website and Create an Online Casino Account
Head to the Café Casino website on your chosen device and hit the “Join” button in the top right-hand corner of your screen. Complete the registration form with all the required information; this includes your name, date of birth, address, and contact information. Click “Confirm” once you’re finished creating your account.
2. Deposit Funds and Enter Promo Code
Go to the cashier screen and select the deposit option. Choose your preferred payment method and deposit an amount, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction. Before confirming the payment, ensure you select the Café Casino welcome bonus from the drop-down list so that it applies to your first deposit.
3. Choose Game and Play for Real Money
At Café Casino, deposits and bonuses are credited to your account instantly and should be reflected in your balance. Head to the games library and use your credit to play any of their games for real money. If you score a win, your gambling winnings will be reflected in your balance and can be withdrawn via the cashier.
California Online Gambling Laws – Is it Legal?
California has several tribal casino properties and land-based card rooms, but its online gambling options are limited. There are no regulated online casinos, sportsbooks, or poker rooms. You can partake in pari-mutuel wagering and daily fantasy sports, but you’ll need to look overseas for other real-money gambling options.
Here is a breakdown of the current California gambling legislation you need to know:
- Online casinos in California aren’t legal, and you won’t find any gambling sites licensed and regulated in the state. If you want to play casino games, you have two options:
- Californians can access offshore casinos and play hundreds of casino games for real money. They’re not outrightly prohibited in Californian law, so you won’t be prosecuted for wagering at offshore casinos.
- You can legally play at social casinos like Chumba and Luckyland Slots. These sweepstakes sites use virtual currencies, but you can win cash prizes.
- Online sports betting is not permitted in California, and neither will you find any land-based sportsbooks in the state.
- Online sports betting is only available at offshore sportsbooks like BetUS.
- Daily fantasy sports (DFS) sites are great alternatives to sports wagering. They’re not explicitly legal, but sites like DraftKings and FanDuel have been offering games to players without issues since 2016.
- You can legally wager on racing events online in California. Popular sites include TwinSpires and TVG, although you can also bet on horse and dog racing at most sportsbooks.
Is Gambling at Offshore Online Casinos Safe?
As the only permitted forms of online gambling in California are DFS sites and racebooks, many players turn to offshore sites. Unfortunately, offshore online casinos and sportsbooks are often deemed unsafe. Several scam sites exist, but there are legitimate sites for anyone willing to do their research.
If you need a hand, all the online casinos we recommend are 100% safe and trustworthy. They’ve been thoroughly vetted by our industry experts, and all meet the following criteria:
- Licensing: Our promoted operators are licensed by foreign governments, such as gambling commissions in Panama, Curacao, or Malta. Although not as stringent as US licenses, these licenses do prove the sites are operating legally and fairly.
- RNGs: The best California online casinos use random number generators (RNGs) for their electronic games. This technology ensures that the outcomes of games are random, so you have a fair chance of winning.
- Secure Payments: It’s important that your payment details are encrypted and stored securely. All our online casinos support several secure options, including cryptocurrencies, credit cards, and vouchers.
When Will California Make Online Gambling Legal?
It’s unlikely that California will see a regulated online gambling industry any time soon. There is already a push to legalize online sports betting in the 2023 session, but any proposed bills require approval from at least two-thirds of the state legislature and must pass a voter referendum.
Unfortunately, reaching this level of approval is unlikely. Tribal operators, casino partners, and lawmakers all have their own agendas. Voters have also historically been against having a regulated industry. Two California sports betting bills on the November 2022 ballot died with a crushing 82% of people voting against sportsbooks. This is the sixth-largest ballot defeat in Californian history.
Therefore, it appears that legalizing any form of online gambling is on hold in California for the time being. This is a huge shame not only for avid bettors but for the state. California is one of the most populous jurisdictions in the USA and has the potential to become an online gaming powerhouse.
California Online Gambling Legislation Timeline
Despite the lack of current options for online gambling in California, there have been several pushes to regulate the industry. Here is a look at the key events:
- 1933: Horse race betting is legalized in California. The well-known Santa Anita Park opened the following year, becoming the first racetrack in the state.
- 1984: Proposition 37 of the California State Lottery Act passed, legalizing lottery games and scratch cards. Sales for scratchers began in 1985, and a weekly state Lotto game in 1986.
- 1998: Lawmakers permitted card games such as poker to be played in licensed venues. The California Gambling Control Commission was set up the following year to regulate cardrooms.
- 2000: Tribal compacts were finalized and approved by voters. The legislation allows federally recognized tribes to open land-based California casinos on reservation land.
- 2004: California lawmakers amended gambling legislation and banned craps and roulette. Meanwhile, card games like blackjack and poker were allowed.
- 2016: Efforts to outrightly legalize DFS were discussed, but no law was passed. Daily fantasy sports sites launched in the state regardless, operating in an unregulated gray zone.
- 2018: After the abolishment of PASPA, lawmakers pushed to bring sportsbooks to California. The proposal, known as the Gaming Fairness & Accountability Act, didn’t make the ballot.
- 2019: Efforts to legalize CA sportsbooks continued and two bills were proposed. Tribes petitioned to have sports wagering on the ballot without going via the General Assembly.
- 2020: Californian tribes start collecting signatures for their ballot initiative. They needed to collect 1 million signatures to make the ballot for 2022, and they succeeded.
- 2022: Two sports betting bills made the ballot, but voters denied both:
- Proposition 26 aimed to legalize in-person wagering at tribal casinos, but 67% voted against the proposal.
- Proposition 27 aimed to legalize online sports betting in CA, but a massive 82% voted against the proposal.
California Tribal Partnerships
California currently has gaming compacts with 79 federally recognized tribes that allow the tribes to offer Class III casino games, such as slot machines, video poker, and card games. The tribes currently operate 69 casinos in the state across 28 Californian counties.
Tribes have been pushing to revise their gaming compacts and legalize retail sports betting on reservation land, yet their ongoing efforts have been unsuccessful. Proposal 27 made it to the November 2022 ballot but failed to be approved by voters.
California Online Casino Promotions
California doesn’t have state-regulated casinos, but you can claim many lucrative bonuses at offshore online casinos.
Deposit Match Bonuses
Deposit match bonuses are a common welcome promotion at online casinos. The operator matches a percentage of your initial deposit up to a certain amount. The bigger the percentage match and the higher the bonus ceiling, the more lucrative the promotion is.
The matched deposit bonus at Café Casino is a brilliant example. They’re awarding all new players a 250% bonus up to $1,500 on their first deposit. Thanks to the high percentage match, you instantly more than double your account balance. In fact, you must only deposit $600 to claim the total $1,500 in bonus credits.
Cryptocurrency bonuses are special deposit match promotions only eligible for players funding their account with crypto. Some operators require you to use a specific cryptocurrency, whereas others let you use any of their supported coins.
For example, the Café Casino crypto bonus is a 350% match up to $2,500 for anyone depositing with Bitcoin. In comparison, you qualify for Wild Casino’s massive $9,000 cryptocurrency offer regardless of which currency you use. We recommend claiming these offers when available because they’re always more lucrative than standard promotions.
Unlike matched promotions, you don’t need to fund your casino to qualify for no-deposit bonuses. These offers are rewarded to players who complete specific tasks, most commonly registering for a new account. They’re a fantastic way you can try the casino for free before spending real money.
These bonuses aren’t all that common and are of much lesser value than deposit bonuses. However, we’ve managed to track down an exclusive no-deposit bonus at Red Dog that you must ask for in the live chat. You can receive $40 for slot play or $25 for their other games.
Reload bonuses refer to all deposit offers you can claim after taking advantage of the welcome promotions. It is common for reload bonuses to be matched deposit offers, but online casinos can also hand out free spins or bets when you fund your account.
BetUS has an incredible selection of reload offers. Their promotions run weekly, and there are exciting rewards to grab on several days of the week:
- Tuesdays: 250% match of up to $2,500 for slots
- Thursdays: 10% boost on cryptocurrency deposits
- Saturdays: 150% bonus up to $1,500 + 20 free spins
California online casinos run VIP programs to reward their most loyal players. You earn points for every real money wager placed on the gambling site. These points can be traded for bonuses and rewards, alongside determining your VIP tier. The higher your tier, the better perks you receive.
An example below presents a breakdown of the levels for Café Casino’s perks. In their loyalty scheme, you exchange perk points for cash prizes. The cash redemption rate increases with your perks Level.
- Level 1: 2,500 points = $1
- Level 2: 2,250 points = $1
- Level 3: 2,000 points = $1
- Level 4: 1,750 points = $1
- Level 5: 1,500 points = $1
- Level 6: 1,250 points = $1
- Level 7: 1,000 points = $1
- Level 8: 1,000 points = $1
Mobile Gambling Apps in California
State-regulated casino apps can be downloaded from Google Play and the App Store. But without a regulated industry, this isn’t an option in California. However, you can still play online casino games for real money from mobile devices, as we explain below:
Android Mobile Gambling
To play casino games from Android devices, head to the gambling site on your device using Google Chrome or Samsung Internet. Once there, some online casinos will prompt you to install a mobile app on your phone. This is a convenient option but ensure you’re using a reputable provider or you could install malicious software.
Another option is to play from your mobile browser. All our recommended casinos are built on HTML 5 technology and instantly adapt to different screen sizes. So, mobile sites have the same functionality as desktop websites – you can play games, make payments, and claim bonuses from your Android.
iOS Mobile Gambling
If you have an iPad or iPhone, the situation is almost identical. Open up the Safari app and go to the casino site to have instant access to all the games on the go. HTML 5 technology ensures that the site adapts to all iOS devices. Tap on your preferred game and flip your device into landscape mode for seamless mobile play.
Depending on the operator, you may be able to download a dedicated iOS app onto your phone or tablet. You’ll need enough storage space on your device, and casino apps typically require iOS 11.0 or higher to function without lagging.
Advantages of Offshore Gambling Sites
Offshore gambling sites have global competition, so they run huge bonuses to attract and retain players. The biggest offer we’ve found is at Red Dog: you can get a 275% uncapped welcome bonus when depositing with crypto. Even if California did legalize online gambling, you wouldn’t find promotions this big at state-run sites.
Offshore online casinos have more game variety than the biggest land-based casinos in California. Your options include online slots, video poker, blackjack, roulette, and bingo. These games are produced by several renowned developers, including:
- Revolver Gaming
- Concept Gaming
- Amatic Industries
- Authentic Gaming
- Steady Games
You can deposit and withdraw using various cryptocurrencies at our recommended online casinos. Doing so provides several advantages, which include:
- Access to provably fair games that work on the blockchain.
- Options to claim crypto promotions, which are of higher value than standard offers.
- Easy access to your gambling winnings with payouts in <24 hours.
- Enhanced online privacy as crypto payments are pseudo-anonymous.
If California were to regulate its online gambling industry, state-regulated casinos would not be permitted to support cryptocurrency payments under current laws. Therefore, the above perks are only possible at offshore sites.
As offshore casinos operate outside US jurisdiction, you don’t need to report your gambling winnings to the state. This is fantastic news for your bankroll, as you won’t have to pay income tax on your gambling winnings. It also enhances your privacy – no one needs to know the ins and outs of your gambling habits but you.
What Games Can I Play at California Online Casinos?
You’ll find slots, blackjack, video poker, roulette, and bingo games at online casinos in California. Here is a closer look at all these major categories:
Online slot games are the most popular at California casinos, and the situation is no different online. Our top-rated online casinos have hundreds of slot games from leading providers like Betsoft and Nucleus: Wild Casino has 363, BetUS has 350, and Café Casino has 160 unique games.
Below are some of our favorite slot titles:
- Smoking Gun
- Fruit Loot Reboot
- Twin Dragons
- Lawless Ladies
- Atlantic Treasures
You can play online slots regardless of your gambling budget. All our listed casinos have penny slots that take $0.01 per payline, whereas high-rollers can wager upward of $50 per spin. There are also plenty of progressive jackpots you can win with prizes that constantly climb. Hit a winning combination on one of these games, and you could turn a few dollars into millions.
Another fun way to practice your slot play is by entering tournaments. Wild Casino hosts weekly tournaments that are free to join and have a generous $5,000 prize pool. To gain your free entry, all you have to do is play real money slots on four separate days of the week.
Blackjack is available at land-based casinos and card rooms, but you can play from the comfort of your home at all our top-rated sites. There are 32 blackjack variants at BetUS, 13 at Wild Casino, and eight at Ignition and Café Casino. Red Dog Casino falls slightly short but still has three games from RTG and Rival.
Some of our favorite versions of this classic casino game are Blackjack Switch and Multi-Hand Blackjack. Wild Casino and Café Casino both offer free-to-enter blackjack tournaments.
Video poker games are available at all our recommended online casinos in California. Bet US has the most variety, with 24 thrilling games from Betsoft, DSG, and Nucleus. Your options include:
- Jacks or Better
- Aces and Eights
- Deuces Wild
- Double Double Bonus
- Aces and Faces
- Joker Poker
- Tens or Better
Traditional roulette isn’t available at land-based casinos in California, but you can play an electronic version of this casino game online. Red Dog only has one version of European Roulette, but all our other recommended sites have a minimum of four.
Wild Casino has the vastest selection with 11 roulette games, including:
- American Roulette
- European Roulette Deluxe
- American Double Ball Roulette
- Platinum Chip Roulette
- Roulette II
Games like baccarat, craps, three-card rummy, casino war, and poker are found in the “table games” category at gambling sites. There is usually only one or two of each of these online casino games available, and the selection varies between sites.
If you want to play California online poker, it’s best you head to dedicated online poker sites. Ignition is a brilliant option as it features a fully-fledged poker room on the same platform as its casino. It runs multiple online big-money poker tournaments every week that are scheduled for both day and night.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games provide an authentic casino experience. These online casino games are played in real time and footage of professional croupiers is streamed to your device.
Besides Red Dog, all our online casinos in California have live casino games. Café Casino and Ignition have six options, including Super 6, Baccarat, Blackjack, and Live Roulette.BetUS has seven live titles, whereas Wild Casino has eight.
Bingo is only legal in California when played for charitable purposes, but you can play bingo for real money at offshore casinos. This game is less popular than slots and table games, so it isn’t available everywhere. However, Café Casino and Ignition both offer a decent selection of bingo games; these include:
- Amazonia Bingo
- Bingo Cataratas
- Bingo Goal
- Bingo Ribeirinhos
- Go-Go Bingo
- Pasca Bingo
- Tribo Bingo
New Online Casinos in California
The gambling industry is growing exponentially, and new online casinos enter the market every month. However, we tend not to recommend these new sites to our readers because we care about your safety; new casinos haven’t had enough experience to prove themselves safe and legitimate.
If you want a newer casino, your best options are listed below. Many of these are skins of established casinos we know can be trusted, so you can rest assured that you’re in safe hands:
- Red Dog Casino – 2019
- El Royal – 2020
- Super Slots – 2020
- Las Atlantis Casino – 2020
- Rich Palms – 2020
What to Look for When Choosing the Best California Betting Site
It’s essential to do your research before signing up for a casino or sportsbook. Below are the main factors to look for when choosing a site:
Reading reviews is the best place to start your online casino search. We have reviews of all the top gambling sites, which are a good starting point. You’ll also want to check feedback from real-world players. If sites have tons of negative comments, don’t waste your time or money.
California doesn’t have any state-licensed betting sites, but all reputable providers hold a license from somewhere. Common jurisdictions include Malta, Curacao, and Panama. Always check that the operator is licensed before registering. This information is typically found in their website footer.
Always compare the bonuses of any online casinos you’ve shortlisted. Check the percentage match, maximum bonus, and wagering requirements to determine the most valuable offers. You’ll also want to check any game restrictions that apply to ensure you can play the games you enjoy the most.
All good casinos offer the same high-quality experience on computers, smartphones, and tablets. Check that the site is compatible with any device from which you want to wager. Some casinos only have a portion of their games available on mobile, so check that this doesn’t apply to the site you’re considering.
Always check the games portfolio of the casino before creating an account. Assess whether it has the games you want to play and from decent software developers. We suggest opting for as much variety as possible to keep your gameplay fun and exciting.
Betting limits restrict the size of your wager and are as crucial to consider as are the games themselves. Big spenders need high-stakes tables, whereas casual gamblers will likely prefer penny slots. Again, variety is king – no matter the size of your gambling budget, there are always games you can play.
Check what payment methods are available for deposits and withdrawals. We recommend casinos that offer numerous options, ensuring there is a method to suit your needs. Make sure you compare transaction fees and speed, prioritizing sites with free and fast banking options.
California State Revenues from Gambling
Without commercial casinos or online gambling, most of California’s gambling revenue comes from tribal casinos. Tribal casinos generate around $8.5 billion in gross gambling revenue (GGR) annually. This is around 25% of total tribal gaming revenue across the USA.
Unlike commercial casinos, tribal properties don’t pay taxes to the state – they pay fees instead. These fees go into three funds:
- Revenue Sharing Trust Fund
- Special Distribution Trust Fund
- General Fund
California Lawmakers Involved in Gambling Legislation
There are two prominent California lawmakers involved in gambling legislation:
- Assemblyman Adam Gray: The first California lawmaker to propose a legalized and regulated sports betting industry.
- He introduced ACA 18 in July 2017 – a year before PASPA was overturned – in anticipation of the Supreme Court’s decision.
- As soon as PASPA was abolished, Gray continued his efforts for legal sports betting. He reintroduced ACA 18 in 2018, but it never saw the light of day.
- In 2019, he wrote two new bills: ACA 16 and SCA 6. These proposals were under discussion in 2020, the same year California tribes petitioned to have sports betting on the ballot while bypassing the assembly.
- Senator Bill Dodd: Dodd co-authored the two bills – ACA 16 and SCA 6 – with Gray in 2019. In July 2020, Sen. Dodd famously pulled SCA 6 from consideration. With the COVID-19 pandemic and tribal opposition, he believed 2020 wasn’t the year for approving California sports betting.
Charitable Gambling in California
Charitable gambling is permitted in California. The Golden State initially only allowed non-profit organizations to run bingo nights and raffle events to raise money for charity. However, as of 2007, bona fide charities in existence for 3+ years can hold poker events once a year.
Three independent statutes regulate these types of gambling:
- California Penal Code Section 320.5 (charity raffles)
- California Penal Code Section 326.5 (charitable bingo)
- California Business & Professions Code Section 19985 to 19987 (charitable poker)
California Gambling Taxes
All gambling winnings in land-based casinos are taxable, including money from lotteries, raffles, horse races, and casinos. They must be reported to the IRS and are taxed at different rates depending on your overall annual income. Gambling losses can be deducted, but you cannot deduct more than you have won.
The good news is that winnings from gambling at offshore sites are not taxed. Because these sites operate outside US jurisdiction, authorities don’t need to know about your winnings. Moreover, California Lottery or Mega Millions are non-taxable in California.
Banking Methods of California Gambling Sites
Supported payment methods vary between sites, but these are the main options you’ll find:
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies
Cryptocurrencies are our preferred payment option for the following reasons:
- Deposit limits are usually lower (Tether deposits start at $5).
- You qualify for exclusive bonuses when funding your account with crypto.
- Withdrawals are processed in as little as 24 hours.
All our offshore casino sites support the three major cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. You can alternatively use Bitcoin Cash or Tether at most sites, while Wild Casino supports almost 20 altcoins. This includes Shiba Inu, Stellar, Avalanche, and Apecoin.
Credit and Debit Cards
Many people love the familiarity of making online purchases with a credit or debit card. Using them is straightforward and highly secure as you’re protected by your bank’s security system.
All our recommended casinos accept Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX, while you can also pay using your Discover card at Wild Casino and Red Dog. Minimum deposits start at around $20-25, and fees typically apply. However, this does depend on the operator.
A select few casinos allow you to fund your account via bank transfer, but this payment method is generally used for withdrawals. It’s one of the most secure options and a fantastic way to send thousands to your account. Depending on the operator, you can withdraw up to $25,000 at once.
The caveat is that bank transfers can take several weeks to process and are typically more expensive than other payment methods.
Unfortunately, you won’t find eWallets at any California gambling sites. If the state regulated the industry, we expect PayPal and Skrill would be supported. However, these providers can only offer services to gambling companies licensed in the USA, and at the moment, California doesn’t have any.
If you prefer not to share banking information with the operator, MatchPay is a fantastic alternative. It’s essentially a trading platform on which you can exchange credits with other players.
What Forms of Gambling Are Available in California?
- Casinos: Casino gambling is legal in California, with the exception of craps and roulette. There are 69 tribal casinos and 84 licensed card rooms in the state. While California hasn’t regulated online casino gambling, you can play real money games at offshore sites.
- Lottery: Anyone over 18 can purchase lottery tickets in California. This includes tickets for the California State Lottery and multi-state games. Tickets must be bought in person at one of the 23,000 retail locations in the state.
- Sports Betting: Sportsbooks are not permitted in California, and the only place to wager on sports is at offshore gambling sites. Another alternative is to wager at DFS sites like DraftKings and FanDuel, which have been operating in CA since 2016.
- Racing: Horse racing is legal and overseen by the California Horse Racing Board. There are four private racetracks and 23 simulcast locations. You can also place bets from home using websites like TwinSpires.
- Bingo: Playing bingo for real money is prohibited, but non-profits can run charitable bingo and raffle events. You can also play bingo online at the best California casinos, such as Café Casino and Ignition.
Major Jackpot Wins in California
With 69 land-based casinos in California, there have been several massive jackpot wins. The most recent was a lucky player called Roberto Arcueno. He won $1.5 million in 2022 at Thunder Valley Casino Resort on the Dancing Drums Explosion slot game.
Land-Based Casinos in California
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino
Address: 777 San Manuel Blvd S, Highland, CA 92346
Yaamava Casino is California’s newest gambling destination. The San Manuel casino opened in December 2021 and is the largest casino in the state. It has over 7,000 slot machines and 150 table games, including five high-limit rooms. The property also features a 17-floor high-end hotel, 20+ restaurants and bars, and a luxury spa.
Pechanga Resort & Casino
Address: 45000 Pechanga Parkway, Temecula, CA 92592
The Pechanga Casino is another of the biggest casinos in California and the rest of the USA. Its massive casino floor spans 200,000 square feet. It’s the perfect place to play slots, with 5,400 machines. There are also 152 table games, a 38-table poker room, a 700-seat bingo hall, and a luxury hotel attached.
Cache Creek Casino Resort
Address: 1445 Highway 16, Brooks, CA 95606
Cache Creek Casino Resort is owned by the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation. What started in a bingo hall in the 1980s has grown into a huge gambling destination featuring 2,300 slots and table games. This includes craps-and roulette-themed card games. The traditional versions of these games aren’t permitted in California, so these are excellent alternatives.
Morongo Casino Resort & Spa
Address: 49500 Seminole Drive, Cacazon, CA 92230
Morongo Casino Resort is another huge California gambling destination, voted “2022 Best Casino in Southland” by the Los Angeles Times. The casino originally opened in 2004 but underwent a complete refurbishment in 2018. The new venue has 4,000 slots, 80 table games, a 20-table poker room, and a 250-seat bingo hall.
Thunder Valley Casino Resort
Address: 1200 Athens Avenue, Lincoln, CA 95648
Thunder Valley Casino Resort is one of the best casinos in California. It features 3,000 slots and tables for baccarat, blackjack, and poker. Their dedicated high-limits area takes bets from $100 to $500, which is perfect for high-rollers. They also have a fantastic rewards program that unlocks perks as you play.
Other Tribal Casinos in California
Here is a selection of some other incredible California casinos:
- Agua Caliente Casino – 32-250 Bob Hope Drive, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
- Augustine Casino – 81-001 Avenue 54 at Van Buren, West Cochella, CA 92236
- Barona Valley Ranch Resort & Casino – 1932 Wildcat Canyon Road, Lakeside, CA 92040
- Bear River Casino – 11 Bear Paws Way, Loleta, CA 95551
- Black Oak Casino – 19400 Tuolumne Road North, Toulumne, CA 95379-9724
- Blue Lake Casino – 777 Casino Way, Blue Lake, CA 95525
- Cahuilla Creek Casino – 52702 Highway 371, Anze, CA 92539
- Casino Pauma – 777 Pauma Reservation Road, Pauma Valley, CA 92061
- Cher-Ae Heights Bingo & Casino – 27 Scenic Drive, Trinidad, CA 95570-9767
- Chicken Ranch Bingo & Casino – 16929 Chicken Ranch Road, Jamestown, CA 95327-9779
- Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino – 711 Lucky Lane, Coarsegold, CA 93614
- Chumash Casino Resort – 3400 East Highway 246, Santa Ynez, CA 93460-9405
- Colusa Casino Resort – 3770 Highway 45, Colusa, CA 95932-1267
- Coyote Valley Casino – 7751 North State Street, Redwood Valley, CA 95418
- Desert Rose Casino – 901 Country Road 56, Alturas, CA 96101
- Diamond Mountain Casino – 900 Skyline Drive, Susanville, CA 96130
- Eagle Mountain Casino – 681 South Tule Road, Porterville, CA 93258
- Elk Valley Casino – 2500 Howland Hill Road, Crescent City, CA 95531-9241
- Fantasy Springs Resort & Casino – 84-245 Indio Springs Parkway, Indio, CA 92203-3499
- Graton Resort & Casino – 288 Golf Course Dr W, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino – 3317 Forty Mile Road, Wheatland, CA 95692
- Harrah’s Northern California – 4650 Coal Mine Road, Ione, CA 95640
- Jackson Rancheria Casino – 12222 New York Ranch Road, Jackson, CA 95642
- Jamul Casino – 14145 Campo Road, Jamul, CA 91935
- Konocti Vista Casino & Bingo – 2755 Mission Rancheria Road, Finley, CA 95435
- Lucky 7 Casino – 350 North Indian Road, Smith River, CA 95567
- Lucky Bear Casino – 12510-CA-96, Hoopa, CA 955546
- Pala Casino Resort & Spa – 11154 Highway 76, Pala, CA 92059
- Quechan Resort Casino – 525 Algodones Road, Winterhaven, CA 92283
- Red Hawk Casino – 1 Red Hawk Boulevard, Placerville, CA 95667
Frequently Asked Questions
Are online casinos legal in California?
No, casinos and most forms of online gambling are not legal in California. However, online casinos are also not explicitly prohibited. This means you can bet real money online at offshore gambling sites without getting into trouble.
What is the legal gambling age in California?
The legal gambling age in California is 18. This minimum applies to all forms of gambling, including the lottery, online casino games, and sports wagering. However, many land-based tribal casinos require people to be 21 or over as they serve alcohol (the minimum age in the USA for alcohol consumption). So, if you are 18 years of age, you can safely play at offshore online casinos.
When did California regulate online gambling?
California hasn’t regulated online gambling, including casinos and sports betting. There have been several pushes to legalize mobile sportsbooks, but none have been successful. Until this happens, your best option is to enjoy the hundreds of offshore gambling sites that accept Californians.
Can I play daily fantasy sports in California?
Yes, you can play daily fantasy sports in California. However, it is not outrightly legal and falls into an unregulated “gray area.” Nevertheless, sites like DraftKings and FanDuel have been operating in CA since 2016 without any pushback from lawmakers.
Can I win real money playing online?
Yes, you can win real money by playing online. Although California doesn’t have a regulated industry, many overseas operators accept California players. You can play casino games for real money or bet on sports events on these sites and withdraw your winnings as cash.
What is the best online casino in California?
The best online casino in California is Café Casino. This is an offshore site licensed in Curacao. The casino features 230 real-money games from developers like RTG and Rival. It also has an excellent 250% deposit bonus worth up to $1,500 that you can claim as a new player.
Are California betting sites safe?
Because betting sites aren’t regulated in California, some are legitimate, and others are unsafe. You can tell a trustworthy casino by checking its licensing, RNG, and payment methods. If you need help, use one of our recommendations. They’ve been vetted by our experts and are 100% safe and secure.
Is DraftKings legal in California?
Yes, DraftKings is legal in California. However, players only have access to the DFS portion of the site. The DraftKings casino and sportsbook are not permitted as California has no regulated gambling industry. For casino gambling and sports betting, you can try one of our top-rated sites instead.
Is FanDuel legal in California?
Yes, FanDuel is legal in California. Like DraftKings, you can register for an account and partake in any of their paid fantasy sports tournaments. However, FanDuel casino and sportsbooks are not available in the Golden State.
Is Café Casino legal in California?
Café Casino is not technically legal in California because online gambling has not been legalized. However, it’s also not explicitly prohibited. Café Casino has been accepting Californian players for 7+ years, and no one has ever been prosecuted for playing their games.
Is BetUS legal in California?
If you live in California, you can wager real money at BetUS without fear of prosecution, but it isn’t specifically legal. Californian law doesn’t outrightly legalize or illegalize online gambling sites like BetUS, putting it in an unregulated gray zone.
Is Wild Casino legal in California?
Wild Casino is not explicitly legal in California, but it’s not prohibited either. The online casino welcomes players from California, giving you access to all their real-money games. No one from the Golden State has been in legal trouble for playing there previously.
Is Red Dog Casino legal in California?
California hasn’t legalized online casinos, so Red Dog falls into a gray area of the law. As it is owned and operated overseas, it’s outside of US jurisdiction and readily welcomes players from California. Rest assured – no one has ever faced legal repercussions for playing at Red Dog.
Do games at California casinos use an RNG?
Yes, the games at our top-rated California casinos use an RNG. However, some gambling sites have rigged games that you have no chance of winning. Register and play at our recommended sites to avoid playing these biased games.